Fish Eggs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi kcrepps. Welcome and beautiful pond! I had a couple goldfish babies a few years ago, and this year had almost 30. if you have a tadpole it will help keep the goldfish population down because they are good at finding eggs and eating them. This is a picture of some of our new arrivals. They are cute but I don't know what to do with all of them!

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 274

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hope I never get babies, 'cause I can't turn anything away. And I'm really, really picky about who I give my pets to..... Would have to convert the entire yard into a pond. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You got goldfish....................you'll have babies...............start digging TM :goodnight:

Reaction score
LMAO... I really dont mean to laugh, but I cant help it. I had a post up on Craigslist to place ALL the comets... since the bog isnt done (filled with gravel), we moved all the comets up there, to make an easy spot to catch them... hubby thought they looked pretty good up there... discussion of building yet another pond (in addition to the one already planned for next year)... Had someone due to come tomorrow... got an email this morning that he cant come til next Sunday. Tell hubby... his response is oh well, too late, they are spoken for (by him LOL)... So instead of being parents of 7 comets and one LARGE feeder goldfish (plus koi and shubunkins), our family just grew by another 50 or so.... Hubby was messing with the lilies yesterday (had to get IN the pond) and had all the little brats around his legs (pulling hairs LOL)... yup, hubby was doomed... as soon as THAT happened, they became PETS who cant leave...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing! that is fantastic. They nibble my legs the entire time I am in the pond grooming the lilies. I could not cull a single one, even though a heron could take a bunch and I would never notice, unless it took the few that are really unique in color.

Reaction score
Not sure how fantastic it is... thought I read that they can start reproducing around 3".... have about 50 comet babies right now, and noticed two more girls bloating with eggs... that is going to equal how many??? The bog presently has about 150 or so water hyacinths... thats lots of roots to hide in... The good news is we have now spotted about 5 who are changing colors... instead of looking black/brown in the water, these few are near white with only a blackish stripe on their heads/backs, and a few others look to be taking on an orange glow... so maybe there may be some variety in there yet...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Those do look like Koi or Goldfish eggs. Could even be a mix of both. Yes they can and do hybrinize. Unless you just really want to try your hand at raising fry. (Which can be very time consuming and takes some effort daily to keep) Let them be. the adults will eat most. The looks of your pond there is probably enough hiding places and room for a few to survive. the babies are always fun to watch and you'll injoy YOUR babies no matter if they are beauties or muttlies. BTW, I have found that babies that grow naturally in the pond do grow faster than those taken out and raised on there own. Or at least for me that is the case.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's funny Cape! He fell in love and now can't bear to let his little hair pickers go, :razz:
If you only feed them now and then you won't have an overpopulation of them down the road. I didn't feed mine for several yrs at first and they stayed around the same amt w/ maybe only a couple a yr added to the group. Now I feed them a few times per week in my bigger pond but will come a day when they will have to become cannibals again or I'll have to give them away and that will be hard. I know, I know build a bigger pond,yada, yada, yada :goodnight:

Reaction score
LOL... with about 150 water hyacinths, and 7-8 pots of lilies, plus bugs and what not, trust me, there is plenty for them to eat LOL.

Ask a Question