Fish gasping and frayed tail fins

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yesterday is current. If any major parameters changed dramatically in 24 hours the fish would all likely be dead.
Not if it where for the good.
Ph can change in an hour, or less. (ph is important, depending on the situation)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not if it where for the good.
Ph can change in an hour, or less. (ph is important, depending on the situation)

But you did not ask about pH.
Rapid changes (hourly) in pH are a rarity in a typical Garden Pond or a natural pond for that matter. The diel fluctuation in pH is normal and fish adjust to this easily.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
But you did not ask about pH.
Rapid changes (hourly) in pH are a rarity in a typical Garden Pond or a natural pond for that matter. The diel fluctuation in pH is normal and fish adjust to this easily.
Actually,
depending on the fish they do NOT adjust easily, or at all.
But I was just giving my 0.02 not going to get into a debate on this topic... :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Any possible suggestions on how I should proceed the next few days?

- added Melafix tonight
Larger fish are still gasping and 2 of them seem to be struggling - a few of the medium and smaller ones gasping
- some of the other small ones appear to be lethargic while there are other small ones that appear to be getting better

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would continue with 9 oz. of Melafix per day with no water changes for 4 more days with NO water changes (as directed by manufacturer).. I will admit this is just a guess since you have already added Melafix daily since Saturday (5 days) however the dosage the first two (2) days was corrupted with water changes.
Have you able to closely inspect any of the fish including the ones that died for open sores, any evidence of parasites (white spots or splotches on the fish), have the gills been red, pink or white or brown?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you for your help - I do appreciate it.
1 medium fish dead this morning - frayed tail and with red streaks - couldn't see inside of gills
- many fish have very frayed or shredded tails with a few streaks - alarming to see
I am surprised that 2 of the larger ones made it through the night - they look like the most affected now - gasping alot around aerators with a third struggling but not as bad as the 2.

I've been following the amountsts given on the Melafix for my size pond (550 gal) - says 15ml/150 gal which makes it just under 2oz - Should I increase this?

Also - should I give them some type of medicated food for tail rot or some other treatment?
- should I add more salt? (currently 0.02% or less)

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How many fish are left?
I still stand by the fact that if you do water changes (every day now 25 to fifty percent) you can save the rest of your fish.
This isn't a "scientific" thing for me its just the way I think, if you add more medicines to the already bad water, (why is it bad? fish are dying in it. Weather fungal or bacterial, its IN the water column) its like breathing through a straw for the fish (the way I think of it), so if you do a water change everyday until you see GOOD results, than its like giving the fish fresh air every day (fresh air, being fresh CLEAN water)

Just my opinion again, the way I do things and it hasn't failed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
There's still quite a few fish - about 4 large 8-9" & abt 4 medium (4-5" ) & abt 20 small (3")
Probably 85% have very long tails

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would not add any additional salt.
Continue with your present dosage.
Medicated food is no longer available without a prescription from a vet.
Water changes will only dilute the dosage. The recommended level of melafix needs to be maintained in the water column if any meaningful results are to be seen.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Today's water testing (Thursday Aug 2) water is clear
Phosphate 0.25 - 0.5 (slightly down from Tues. which was .5 - 1)
Nitrate 5mg/L (same as Tues.)
pH 8 - 8.2 (much higher from Tues - rained today and huge rain stormTues afternoon for about 2 hrs)
Ammonia 0 - .1
Nitrite 0.1 - 0.2 (less than Tues.)

-added Melafix today

Could the higher pH be caused by the rain storms? Forecast is rain again tomorrow. I will test pH again tomorrow - should I do something because it is high?

Have a new resident in the pond - a medium sized frog - don't know where it came from as there are no neighbours within a 3 block radius with ponds. A few have swimming pools but they don't have frogs.
Could it cause problems to my pond? Should I try to remove it and re-establish it to a stream that's about a mile away?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Today's water testing (Thursday Aug 2) water is clear
Phosphate 0.25 - 0.5 (slightly down from Tues. which was .5 - 1)
Nitrate 5mg/L (same as Tues.)
pH 8 - 8.2 (much higher from Tues - rained today and huge rain stormTues afternoon for about 2 hrs)
Ammonia 0 - .1
Nitrite 0.1 - 0.2 (less than Tues.)

-added Melafix today

Could the higher pH be caused by the rain storms? Forecast is rain again tomorrow. I will test pH again tomorrow - should I do something because it is high?

Have a new resident in the pond - a medium sized frog - don't know where it came from as there are no neighbours within a 3 block radius with ponds. A few have swimming pools but they don't have frogs.
Could it cause problems to my pond? Should I try to remove it and re-establish it to a stream that's about a mile away?

First thing that you need to do is relax.
Everything is not a problem.
No, the rain would not cause the pH to rise and this pH is not high. A pH reading in the range of 6.5 - 8.5 is considered ideal for aquatic life.
Frogs ( and toads and insect larvae and countless other critters) consider your pond as a possible home. A pond is not for just fish, in fact, because they are at the top of the food chain, are the least important to a pond's ecology.
Test results look fine.
Keep us posted on the progress of the fish.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Meyer Jordan Thank You!! for your attention and encouragement! I so appreciate your help and info.
I am so worried that things will not straighten out before I leave for my niece's wedding.
There are still 5 days to go so there is time still.

Last edited:

Ask a Question