Fish gasping and frayed tail fins

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer Jordan Thank You!! for your attention and encouragement! I so appreciate your help and info.
I am so worried that things will not straighten out before I leave for my niece's wedding.
There are still 5 days to go so there is time still.

You are most welcome. We are all here to help as we can.

If there is improvement in the fish's condition, you should begin to se signs of it within the next 2 - 3 days. I just hope that treatment was begun soon enough. Don;t give up hope.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Today did a 25% water change and cleaned filter. Many of the fish are doing much better - were interested if feeding but only giving very small amounts 2x a day. Overall the majority have perked up and are acting normal although a few have compromised tails with some shredding.

Water is clear and numbers are good.
Posphate .25
Nitrate - less than 5
Ammonia 0
pH 7.6
Nitrite 0.1

* One of the larger fish (abt 7" long) appears to be struggling - hiding in the rocks, wedging itself in and also isolating itself in the general pond area. It is not really gasping any more but fin clamped, tail badly shredded and it appears that it has a few small patches of scales lost (abt 3). There are no white fuzzy spots or bumps.

There is also another larger fish (7") whose tail has red streaks.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Great news!!
The frayed tails will grow back over time.
Fish are like humans, some respond to medical treatment more readily than others. Since none of the fish seem to be any worse, it appears that you have halted the progression of whatever stressor was causing this issue.
Continue to monitor the fish and please report back any additional progress or if the condition of the Two (2) remaining fish that are still manifesting symptoms worsens.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks so much for your help!! You have been terrific! I am grateful for all of the advice!! I have to admit that I laughed at the comment "you have to relax"! I'm not usually this intense but I am leaving Wed for a week for my niece's wedding and don't want to leave problems for my neighbour who will be looking after the pond and flowers. She has an big aquarium so is familiar with fish & water situations.

Yes I'm hoping that the majority are on the road to recovery as none have died in the last 3 days - yeah!!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Inform your good neighbor not to overfeed the fish. Better they be underfed. No need to risk compromising the water quality at this point

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes I will definitely remind her about the feeding - I've been giving them food sparingly.

Again, I do appreciate the terrific encouragement and support!

Ask a Question