water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And we have three nessies..............one small, one medium, one large

We went to the fish hatchery and had fun getting fish. You can see all the ponds they have, all those squares, rectangles are mud ponds. Fed by a mountain stream.

SmartSelect_20220519-151752_Earth.jpg

These are the tanks the put them in for selling. A guy drove up from Virginia and bought 2k worth of koi. They have nice koi.

20220519_114737.jpg

Here are 125 lil fishes...................... joining my herd.
20220519_125454.jpg
20220519_125458.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cool! Is this a public or private hatchery? All the hatcheries I know of around here are run by the state and only hatch native species as far as I know.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
from their website, open to the public either for your self or whole sale

Eaton's Fish Hatchery, a small family owned and operated business, has a large selection of healthy koi, goldfish, comets, fantails, and tadpoles for your koi pond or water garden. With their large variety of colors and sizes, you are sure to find the fish you are looking for. In addition, they offer plants such as water lilies, cattails, water lettuce and other varieties to enhance the beauty and health of your pond.
Eaton's Fish Hatchery is one of the largest remaining goldfish and koi breeders in the country. Stephen Eaton, along with wife Roxanne and daughter Tanzy, is the third generation of Eatons to raise goldfish and koi in more than 100 acres of ponds along Putman Road in Thurmont, Maryland. Highly knowledgeable in raising and caring for koi, goldfish, comets, fantails, and other pond fish, the Eatons can help you make the best selection to suit your environment and offer advice for the care of your fish and pond. For a more detailed look at the Eaton's history, please click here to open a PDF file of an article published in The Emmitsburg Dispatch.

Attachments

• TED2006.pdf
    283.6 KB · Views: 5

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice fish Addy! Now you just need to find a way to get the snakes to leave them alone!
I have a minnow trap I bought last year to try and trap them, then they just disappeared. Going to try and get at least a few out of the pond. I had a glove on my not working good left hand and was one inch from grabbing the medium snake. But hand did not behave well. So off it swam.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a minnow trap I bought last year to try and trap them, then they just disappeared. Going to try and get at least a few out of the pond. I had a glove on my not working good left hand and was one inch from grabbing the medium snake. But hand did not behave well. So off it swam.
I know they aren't poisonous but will they hurt you if they bite?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
How exciting to be able to actually go to the fish hatchery to pick out your fish! They are beauties! Here’s hoping you can move your Nessies though….

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know they aren't poisonous but will they hurt you if they bite?
Oh yeah it will hurt they have a lot of teeth. One reason I didn't use my right hand that had no glove on it.

Ask a Question