sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like that idea and would be neat also if you could cut a hole in the middle to grow a plant or 2 in pots .Something like a nice tall plant to provide shade on a really sunny pond would look fantastic .A tropical island real cheap .Great idea with the table and thinking people will be looking at those tables differently now .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Really neat idea, but after the heron landed on our floating styrofoam plant island and started trying to fish, all islands floating or ow are not allowed here.........

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Thank you

I will be putting a plant there for a Island look and shade and above all to help teture flying Herons from coming and landing on it.
The reason Idid not put a hole for a pot and water plant is becuase I don't know of a water plant that will grow up and tall and leave room for the turttles to come up and sun bathe.

The turttles will not be down there untill spring they are at home in the upper pond and for the most part hibernating so no need to move them.
So I still have time to change and plant something.
I also want something that is not going to die off or go dormant in the winter then look bad all winter,

I have been thinking about a double pigmy palm in a planter above water.
I can asure you that a heron will think twice about running in to that :LOL:

I am open to any susgentions though nothing is set in stone

Ruben :goldfish:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Maybe you can put some sharpened bamboo sticks on the floating island sticking upwards. They could be hidden inthe plants. That might stop the heron. Kind of like some of the nail systems used to keep pigeons off of bridges and stuff.

Craig

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good idea Craig..........the old bamboo under the fingernails trick! No heron will land on those spikes!

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello

Craig Wrote:
Maybe you can put some sharpened bamboo sticks on the floating island sticking upwards. They could be hidden inthe plants. That might stop the heron. Kind of like some of the nail systems used to keep pigeons off of bridges and stuff.

:razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:
Man you are mean

But yea something like that
I had a ingread and Heron proplem in the past put now that the fence is up and all the plants have grown,
I have not seen them I have seen them around but they do not come in my yard.
I think they like a clear landing area and a clear view.
Plus I have a couple of fake herons that I move around so not sure what it was but they don't come here anymore.
Thank goodness have loss some koi to those beautifull monsters.

Ruben :goldfish:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My floating island was covered with tall plants, the heron just crushed them down when it landed, could care less. Think the poor bird was hungry! Just keep an eye out in case it comes back.

My bog is stuffed with plants, that did not stop them from flying in and landing in the bog, this year. Last year the heron landed in the back field and walked up to the pond. This year it just landed in the bog right on top of the plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My floating island was covered with tall plants, the heron just crushed them down when it landed, could care less. Think the poor bird was hungry! Just keep an eye out in case it comes back.

My bog is stuffed with plants, that did not stop them from flying in and landing in the bog, this year. Last year the heron landed in the back field and walked up to the pond. This year it just landed in the bog right on top of the plants.

Bamboo spikes hidden in the plants.... :) Just saying...

Craig

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Yes I keep a eye out when ever I can
I even have a paintball gun handy Wont harm it might get a sting if I even hit it :razz: but should scare it a bit.
But not real sure what or why they stopped coming (Not complaining) but it has been a couple of seasons since I have had this problem.

But I asure you that I start seeing it I will defenitly be kicking some bird butt :razz:

Ruben

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah.. That would be my luck too! But maybe on a floating island it wouldn't be as likely as if I fell on it it would basically sink.

Of course it would probably still hurt!

Craig

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have large in pond marshes with trailing aquatic mint and hornwort thickets everywhere. The fish love to hide in the plants, that way they can nibble on them in the soft green bed of plants and roots. I have a very large yellow flag Iris that is not in any pot, or container, or dirt, and it is a big root marsh that floats naturally in three feet of water. The fish gather under and near the marsh for comfort and safety. They even hide under it all winter to! Man!! My summer pictures look even better now.... that its winter!!

Attachments

• IMAG0848.jpg
    IMAG0848.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 353
  • IMAG1213-1.jpg
    IMAG1213-1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 369
  • IMAG0756-1.jpg
    IMAG0756-1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMAG3427.jpg
    IMAG3427.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 358
  • IMAG2472.jpg
    IMAG2472.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 380
  • IMAG2050-1.jpg
    IMAG2050-1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 377
  • IMAG0823.jpg
    IMAG0823.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 368

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Yes that is some awesome pics Colleen.

I will have to look in to that Yellow flag iris.
I have had Hornwort but it just do's not last the fish just eat it up. The little pigs :razz:

This spring I will be doing more plants but they will have to be tough for the turtles or it will be a waste.

Ruben

Ask a Question