Fish tanks for over 20 years. Want to get to ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
No matter what anyone says, a pond IS the same as an aquarium.
It's just on a much larger & intense scale.

Too much light and/or nutrients in the tank results in algae. Same in a pond, need that good shade and control the food & poop.

Filter is the same, only costs, types and looks are different.

You don't need plants, but they will help control nutrients, provide shade & shelter, as well as grazing for your fish. But they cause their own debris.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "filter is the same" between an aquarium and a pond. I mean, yes, in both cases, _something_ needs to clean the water, and I guess you could try to manage them the same with some sort of cannister filter or complicated dedicated koi pond setup, but that's absolutely not required! I have a radically different set up between my indoor aquariums and outdoor pond. I have no commercial filtration at all, just an upflow bog filter, all the filtration is done by plants and gravel. And just as in the case of the ponds belonging to those who gave the great advice I got from here in how to set this up, my pond is crystal clear, constantly at zero ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, no algae problems, and never have to do a water change or any maintenance thus far other than rinsing off the pump bag one time in three months and some light gardening in one of my bogs. My aquariums require far far more work and constant monitoring, weekly water changes, filter media, etc. It's the difference between the closed system of the indoor aquarium vs the open system of a planted pond. The pond is far less "intense" to manage than the aquariums.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I agree with a lot of opinions here and respectfully disagree with some. :ROFLMAO:
I kinda see what point @secuono is trying to make but I disagree; I think ponds and aquariums are different animals.
I also disagree that a pond has to be natural because mine is a formal rectangle shape and enclosed in a patio as opposed to a natural form in the yard but I wouldn't have in any other way!View attachment 141310View attachment 141311View attachment 141312View attachment 141313
your pond is gorgeous!

Ask a Question