fish without scales...?

Reaction score
So yesterday, I emptied my pond into a makeshift pond ( actually it's the hole that im using for the bog), and moved the fish to it while i do a liner change and a rock rebuild. Have been fighting a slow leak all summer. :grumble: Don't know why I decided to do it now but it's has to be done. Anywhoo, as I caught each fish, I checked them out good. All of them looked pretty good except for a few scratches that happened I'm sure during spawing. I got down to the last two and when I picked the white one up, i felt somthing strange :blink: He was soft ?!?!?! I was thinking... well that's weird... then I noticed that the little guy had... Scales missing?!? What the heck? Then I think I remember someone talking about Dragon Scales? and that this can happen with a mutation in cross breeding maybe? Can't remember who it was that was talking about it. Is he going to be ok without scales like that?

160.JPG

159.JPG

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I also have some doitsu (scales down the back only) as well as completely scaleless fish. These fish are more prone to problems when using certian medications.

Julia

My pond w/ tong,buyog,snow,skai,bubbles&ela
Reaction score
I have one beautiful butterfly fish. I can see veins on the body instead of scale. When hurt, easily bleeds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have several scaleless Koi, mostly doitus as well. No issues so far. They do seem to have more visible scraps on them from time to time but never anything serious.

Craig

Ask a Question