Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! I remember that song even lol

Reaction score
Gordy

Such a beautiful song. I love all types of music (and I must qualify that statement by saying that is with the exception of rap). We have so many beautiful things in sight, sound and learning that have gone before us that are all going by the wayside and it is such a shame.

One of things that I love to do is to go to museums - I was fortunate enough to go the Art Institute in Chicago when I visited my sister. Such beauty and such works of art that cover all our senses are so awe inspiring.

Your song is from a different era - but such a beautiful song. Thank you for sharing.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love that song and found this about it on Wikipedia:
"500 Miles" (also known as "500 Miles Away from Home" or "Railroaders' Lament") is a folk song made popular in the United States and Europe during the 1960s folk revival. The simple repetitive lyrics offer a lament by a traveler who is far from home, out of money and too ashamed to return. The song is generally credited as being written by Hedy West,[1][2] and a 1961 copyright is held by Atzal Music, Inc.[1] Some recordings have also credited Bobby Bare, Curly Williams, and/or John Phillips as co-writers.[3] David Neale writes that "500 Miles" may be related to the older folk song, "900 Miles," which may itself have origins in the southern American fiddle tunes "Reuben's Train" and "Train 45".[3][4]
"500 Miles" is West's "most anthologized song."[5] The song appears on the 1961 self-titled debut album by The Journeymen;[6] this may have been its first release.
Think this is the original words of the song sung by Bobby Bare:

Here is the lady that wrote it:

Reaction score
I listen to a little bit of everything ... the one thing you will find NONE of on my I-pod is the RAP ... cant stand it. My taste in music is VERY broad. Love when people come over (usually unexpected), and I have my ipod plugged into the stereo ... always get "funny looks" for the VARIETY ... Love when Red Sovine (Teddy Bear) and Seether (F*** Me Like You Hate Me) come on back to back ... Totally different extremes (neither will be heard on the local radio stations) ... Most of the people I know dont know who either is, and for them to hear them back to back is funny to say the least.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh boy Cape I never heard of the Seethers but I just found the song that you typed up there but don't think I better post that one here :censored:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wish everyone felt and believed here in this country like he does in that song. Glad I am able to have lived my life w/ lots that still do. Will be a shame if it all goes away and what hope will there be left if some really succeed in making it all go away? Don't want to be here and see it happen.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, we are already on the losing slope ... Sadly, wayyyy too many people just do not understand this. Going to stop here, as I dont want to get into politics on a thread that started with another beautiful song.

Reaction score
capewind said:
Unfortunately, we are already on the losing slope ... Sadly, wayyyy too many people just do not understand this. Going to stop here, as I dont want to get into politics on a thread that started with another beautiful song.
It isn't just the politics, it is the lack of culture, the lack of education and the lack of willingness to learn. There is an arrogance that prohibits one from being understanding, learning or caring about each other. I do agree we are on the losing slope....

Ask a Question