Flashing...How much is too much?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This bullfrog is much too small to eat my fish. I am monitoring her growth though and will relocate her should she begin to out pace my fish in growth.

I have seen no signs of the white specks but should I catch them too look? Their speckled color might make that difficult to see in the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This bullfrog is much too small to eat my fish. I am monitoring her growth though and will relocate her should she begin to out pace my fish in growth.

I have seen no signs of the white specks but should I catch them too look? Their speckled color might make that difficult to see in the pond?
ich will stick out from the body, so look along edges, not straight on. Will also be in the fins, more usually. I didn't notice anything from your pics.

and remember; a bullfrog's mouth can expand to the size of their body width.

Reaction score
Country
United States
ich will stick out from the body, so look along edges, not straight on. Will also be in the fins, more usually. I didn't notice anything from your pics.
Yes I examined the fish again. I just don't see any signs of ick. I sat and videoed for about an hour but of course they're acting perfectly normal.
Thank you for this information but even at full expansion of the mouth both my fish are as long or longer then the frogs body. Unless frogs have stomachs as long as their entire body or can bite off chunks of their prey I don't see how they could be in jeopardy at this point. I do think she's preparing for hibernation elsewhere as I've seen less and less of her in the last two weeks and nothing of her since monday. Perhaps she will just move on to a larger pond for good. I didn't introduce her. She just showed up on her own so unless I feel confident she is a danger to my shubbies I am hesitate to remove a native species. I do understand she is a predator and has the potential to become a threat. She proved it when she took out all my toad tadpoles (around 75 tadpoles) in 3 days time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States

P.S. the koi in your avatar is just exquisite. Is that one of yours?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
P.S. the koi in your avatar is just exquisite. Is that one of yours?
Yeppa; it's a ghost kikokuryu. Nothing with any kingly genetics and it's been interesting to see the black come out as it only had wisps when I got it last year. If it stays this way, it's a winner in my book, too!

Thanks for the compliment!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol yes I agree I do baby my Shubbies but I baby all my animals. However it's their fault I wasn't expecting goldfish to be so endearing with personalities and everything. I am a helicopter fish mom. I confess.
Nothing wrong with that. Most of us consider them members of the family. You are doing a good job taking care of your babies.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so is jumping flashing too? And lets say they flash once or twice a day or four times in a day 2 to 3 times a week? I know constantly is too much but after that I am a bit lost as to how much is normal.. Especially if everything else is normal with their behavior. I had this trouble when I got my conure with her sneezing. How much was too much and how much is normal. How often do your goldfish/ koi flash in normal health?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok so is jumping flashing too? And lets say they flash once or twice a day or four times in a day 2 to 3 times a week? I know constantly is too much but after that I am a bit lost as to how much is normal.. Especially if everything else is normal with their behavior. I had this trouble when I got my conure with her sneezing. How much was too much and how much is normal. How often do your goldfish/ koi flash in normal health?
I had something similar this spring and ordered Proform C, but didn't use it as I couldn't quite figure out how extensive a problem it was. Thing is, in spring, this is more common as the fish come out of torpor and the water is still cold, so I waited. Didn't use it, as noted. Your issue though is you have warm water and end of summer temps. From your description, were they my fish, I'd hold off until the frequency is heightened. And yeah, my fish jumped too. I MAY have had a parasite problem and I may not but nature helped, apparently, and I didn't see any flashing since then.

So, I'm not a lot of help, I know, but I'd watch. If they do it constantly and are darting plus jumping, you could apply a parasitical chem, following the directions explicitly. It's either going to get better or worse, as in my case. I didn't want to do such huge water changes and I couldn't easily confirm my gallonage, so I was hesitant without clearer evidence I had an issue. The Proform C wasn't cheap, but I got it just in case and will be ready should I need it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
yeppa, John; you're the only one with fish shenanigans on their mind!!!!

:p :p :p :p :cool:
Lol I had what appeared to be spawning earlier in August but no fry. Apparently my Shubbies wanna run me through the gambit of fish behavior before the winter so I am ready to hit the ground running in the spring!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
90% of the time when fish start flashing it is gill flukes that is the problem . while costia and others can be a problem as well it seems gill flukes are usually the culprit. One of the usual signs can also be gasping for air as the gills are inflamed and harder for them to breath.

Like others have noted shutting down the falls is a bad idea. When the water is shut down the water can get foul and sulfur can be the end result and sulfur dioxide is deadly to fish. And again as mentioned surface agitation is key to replenishing 02 though an air stone in my book will give you just about all the 02 you'll need for the most part . now the o2 levels will never peak out with air stones but it is enough for most species of fish . the last note is the colder the water the more o2 it can hold the warmer the less o2 the water will be able to hold

Reaction score
Country
United States
90% of the time when fish start flashing it is gill flukes that is the problem . while costia and others can be a problem as well it seems gill flukes are usually the culprit. One of the usual signs can also be gasping for air as the gills are inflamed and harder for them to breath.

Like others have noted shutting down the falls is a bad idea. When the water is shut down the water can get foul and sulfur can be the end result and sulfur dioxide is deadly to fish. And again as mentioned surface agitation is key to replenishing 02 though an air stone in my book will give you just about all the 02 you'll need for the most part . now the o2 levels will never peak out with air stones but it is enough for most species of fish . the last note is the colder the water the more o2 it can hold the warmer the less o2 the water will be able to hold
Yes I understand all these things but when the waterfall is off the double aerator is on. It runs 24hrs a day. I've tested everything I can think of with the water and everything tests perfect. The flashing, or what I think is flashing, is occasional and for the most part the smaller blue one is they one doing it. He's also not eating much compared to the larger one either. Choosing to nibble mostly on what's in the pond and that seems less then it was. The water temp is 66.9 as of yesterday so I am having a hard time deciding if the lower appetite is due to the cold water or illness. Physically his body condition looks great. The larger one surface breaths when I turn the aerator down at all but I suspected potential copper or chloramine poisoning about a month ago. I took care of the issue but I wonder if her gills were left permanently damaged.. OR are we dealing with an ongoing gill flukes issue! My problem is the things I am seeing aren't consistent and they aren't acting in a way that screams "I am sick!" I am hesitate to treat without be certain something is wrong.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dont treat the pond . isolate the fish in question placing in a hospital tank and treat only that fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok then how do i reintroduce the fish safely after treatment? The water has cooled to 66.9 F in the pond and there's a cold front coming. my hospital tank set up is in my house. The temperature difference is gonna be 8 degrees or more. I don't know how to cool the water slowly enough to reacclamate them safely.

Ask a Question