Flashing...How much is too much?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is not as hard as you may think scoop some water from the pond and set up a drop system add the water slowly. Take them from the house in a bucket. Let the water cool on its own if with 20 degrees it'll take an hour to chill

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok then how do i reintroduce the fish safely after treatment? The water has cooled to 66.9 F in the pond and there's a cold front coming. my hospital tank set up is in my house. The temperature difference is gonna be 8 degrees or more. I don't know how to cool the water slowly enough to reacclamate them safely.
it's sort of like how you acclimate fish you've bought and have been shipped via plane into a warmer summer pond; very very slowly! I usually let them sit in the bag for 30 minutes, adding a cup or so of pond water to the bag. Then, over the next 1-1/2 hours, I add more water at 15 minute intervals. This is also to allow them to get used to a different pH, KH, water parameters in general. You shouldn't have to worry about any of those if you start up your hospital tank using pond water to start.

I've actually heard both pieces of advice; treat the whole pond and treat the individual. I think if you KNOW you have parasites in the pond (on your fish), odds are you should treat the whole thing. An individual fish with something like fungus, fin rot, even ich, I'd treat individually but others have their own methods.

Just a thought.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is not as hard as you may think scoop some water from the pond and set up a drop system add the water slowly. Take them from the house in a bucket. Let the water cool on its own if with 20 degrees it'll take an hour to chill
I am not familiar with a drop system can you suggest a resource? Also I thought I had read somewhere you should never change the temperature of a fishes water more then 6 degrees in 24 hours or you'll stress them too much

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it's sort of like how you acclimate fish you've bought and have been shipped via plane into a warmer summer pond; very very slowly! I usually let them sit in the bag for 30 minutes, adding a cup or so of pond water to the bag. Then, over the next 1-1/2 hours, I add more water at 15 minute intervals. This is also to allow them to get used to a different pH, KH, water parameters in general. You shouldn't have to worry about any of those if you start up your hospital tank using pond water to start.

I've actually heard both pieces of advice; treat the whole pond and treat the individual. I think if you KNOW you have parasites in the pond (on your fish), odds are you should treat the whole thing. An individual fish with something like fungus, fin rot, even ich, I'd treat individually but others have their own methods.

Just a thought.
Agreed with the odds are all are probably infected but when some one has never worked with meds before start slowly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Past two days flashing has stopped and the fish are active and acting great. Blue one has been picking more at things in the pond. So I am back to wait and see a little longer. Since their activity seems normal again I am going to try a small amount of pellets just to confirm their appetite is as should be. Haven't fed them in 2 to 3 days.

UPDATE: NEVERMIND! My sky blue just turned me into a liar and flashed big as daylight! Scraping his side along the soil in the lilly basket I think they're toying with me..bad fish! Bad bad fish!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Past two days flashing has stopped and the fish are active and acting great. Blue one has been picking more at things in the pond. So I am back to wait and see a little longer. Since their activity seems normal again I am going to try a small amount of pellets just to confirm their appetite is as should be. Haven't fed them in 2 to 3 days.

UPDATE: NEVERMIND! My sky blue just turned me into a liar and flashed big as daylight! Scraping his side along the soil in the lilly basket I think they're toying with me..bad fish! Bad bad fish!
you know, you can always tell someone new to the genre because we find them talking to their fish and in tones that are subservient...heh heh.:D:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would go ahead and treat them for flukes, leaving the fish in the pond. If you do it right at the correct dosage, it won't hurt them. And your pond is not that big, so it won't break the bank.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would go ahead and treat them for flukes, leaving the fish in the pond. If you do it right at the correct dosage, it won't hurt them. And your pond is not that big, so it won't break the bank.

Good luck.
I ordered more General cure today so I can treat the entire pond and did another water change to try and keep sky comfortable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you are treating for flukes I would use Praziquantel or Fluke-M. I prefer Fluke-M since it seems to be more affective.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am going to use general cure as it claims to be safe for frogs. I have a wild bullfrog that hangs around that I have to mindful of as well. I believe GC has praziquantel. Probably in a different amount.

Ask a Question