Flex seal liquid for pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone used flex seal liquid to seal their pond? Did it hold up? How many seasons did it last? I used a liquid epdm last season but it ended up cracking. It might have been my fault though because the tarp I used had some holes and water may have gotten to it before it fully cured. I scraped the whole bottom today. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• D6208BD1-DD0D-4AB2-9897-5FD0913A1CA7.jpeg
    D6208BD1-DD0D-4AB2-9897-5FD0913A1CA7.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Never tried it, but have seen it dry out and crack when exposed to the sun, in a month or so. I wouldn’t use it, why do you not want to use a traditional 45 ml epdm liner?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Never tried it, but have seen it dry out and crack when exposed to the sun, in a month or so. I wouldn’t use it, why do you not want to use a traditional 45 ml epdm liner?
I have water flowing into this pond and too many pipes with water going in/out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What are you trying to seal?
Is there a specific leak somewhere or are you planning on coating the whole thing?
What is the pond lined with?
It looks like there's a liner in there, or is it concrete? Hard to tell with that residue on there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Trying to seal the whole thing. I used pool paint but it cracked. It’s concrete.
They have liquid, paint-on pond liners. I have never used any, but one is called pond armor. I don't know how good it is, but it seems a bit expensive.

I personally wouldn't go that route. Too much cost, work and risk that it might fail.
I would drop an EPDM liner in there. I would use the proper underlayment under the liner.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Flex seal will not last and the amount needed would be extremely expensive. It takes many layers to do what they show on their ads.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have flex seal as an emergency repair I did on a flat roof to a rv . its great as a quick fix but it does not last . it was never touched and fell appart and pealed even though it was thoroughly cleaned. for a long term pond paint there are far far far better materials to use out there. you get what you pay for

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey GBBUDD,
You mention some far, far, far better materials- can you give specifics? I've looked all over and the only thing I've come across that would be better is a polyurea spray application. Anything other than that?
Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A poly spray would be like a Bentley compared to a YUGO.

I have not used many products on a install myself but i have used flex seal and it is at best very weak . They do have flex paste that appears to be rather durable . but from being a contractor for many years any products that is a polyurethane base adhesive / paint is going to be very durable again from my experience. Gorilla glue is one such product it is among the best.

By the way if you want someone to know your looking for them to give you some input on a question if you type @ and then the screen name in this case @GBBUDD you'll see a pop up appear click on that and it will give that person a heads up your relied to a post

Ask a Question