floating water plant basket

Reaction score
Last summer my fish destroyed all of the floating plants that I put in my pond so I really wanted to buy a floating plant basket so that the fish could not destroy the roots. I looked them up and I really did not want to spend the money on it. I made this with a pool noodle and some fabric called tooling (its used for weddings and stuff). It may not be the best looking thing but it really works. I am going to need to make another one because the water lettuce and water hyacinths are growing over the edge of the basket. Hope this gives other people some good ideas on how to make their own or ways to improve mine.

Attachments

• IMAG0225.jpg
    IMAG0225.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 695
Reaction score
one other thing..i made it with these materials because I had them around the house..so the project was totally free for me to make or you can buy noodles at the dollar store

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the problem with swim noodles is they are so big...i dont want to see my planter rings...that could really take away from the looks of a pond. especially a "natural look " one. once theyre full, you've gotta look for my rings to see them!

Reaction score
that is very true. I forgot to mention that I cut the noodle a lot so that instead of the entire noodle it is only about a third, to a fourth, of the original size in diameter.I would agree that it is still a little big, but it works nicely for now with my very tight budget

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only problem I have with the thinner hoops is that fish will jump in the ring or even turn it over so pool noodles are the only thing that floats high enough to keep my fish at bey

Reaction score
Hula hoops would make a very good size. But I agree I like the idea of a little taller walls to keep fish further away. Giving me more ideas for when I construct my second ring.

Reaction score
Pool noodles break down in the sun, you'll have tiny bits of noodle floating around your pond pobably in as little as 1 season.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you may but for 1 dollar they are easy to replace .Just like anything they make part of it is recycled stuff and breaks down faster .

Ask a Question