Florida lily identification

Reaction score
This lily came from a Florida trip my husband made. I have had it for years. He saw the lilies and pods on the ground next to the hotel he stayed. He brought some pods home and I grew them in pots for a couple years, after that planted them in the garden. The have huge bulbs and they die back into a fleshing mush. Each spring I cut off the mush and new leaves grow.

What kind of lily are they?

Reaction score
Let's try again

Attachments

• fl lily.jpg
    fl lily.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 368
  • fl lily1.jpg
    fl lily1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 331
  • fl lily2.jpg
    fl lily2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 335
Reaction score
I guess there are different kinds of spider lilies. The one in the Catawba river here in SC is a lot different.

I Googled spider lily and found pics of my lily and bunch of different kinds. It is called a spider lily or a Crinum Lily. When googling Crinum lily I found pics of the exact lily I have. Thanks fishin.

Reaction score
Just found out: Like some spiders, the Crinum lily is poisonous, all parts of it. It can even cause allergic skin reactions to some people when handled. LOL Why do I seem to always grow poisonous plants. I also have Angel Trumpet, very fragrant, very beautiful, just don't eat it.

Spider lily, Crinum lily, I love it.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
we have them wild growing here, But if you look at crinum lily you will also find one that is totally different, It has the bulb but long slender leaves that grow under water, Common in the aquarium hobby. LOL, same lily, one is the submerged type, one is the marginal grown type with leaves and flower above the water surface. I didn't know they were poisonous, But I do know they can take over a small mud pond.
Glad I could help!

Reaction score
We have Spider lilies that grow in the river here. They are very much loved by all in our area. Once during a flood most of the lilies were ripped out and people were asked if they found any down river would they please bring them back to Landsford Canal for replanting. It is a magnificent sight every year.

Attachments

• kayak-spider-lilies.jpg
    kayak-spider-lilies.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 332
  • RockyShoalsSpiderLilies.jpg
    RockyShoalsSpiderLilies.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 280

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow that is a great pic and really must be pretty to see for real .You are lucky to have that kind of natural beauty

Ask a Question