FLOW RATE FOR A TRICKLE TOWER?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is a good water flow rate (GPH) for a DIY TT?

I threw a small TT together over the weekend (for a QT). And from a previous question, I know that water to a TT is supposed to "trickle," hence the name, but just wondering if there are parameters for that...

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
You made me laugh which is a good thing.

What you want to do is put a T in the pump's output pipe. Run one leg up to the trickle tower. Put the ball valve in the other leg and run it back to the pond or into another filter that is lower then the trickle tower. With the ball valve full open all the water goes out the low pipe. With the valve closed all the water goes up to the tower. Some sweet spot in between will give you your trickle.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, if possible try and at least put a piece of foam or something on the pump intake to keep as much gunk from entering the tower as possible, Flow rates can vary, from trickle to high turn over rates depending on what media is being used and the true purpose intended. Shower filters are basically the same thing as a trickle tower only they want to remove the gases from the water and usually are using a media that can handle high flow rate volumes. On a trickle tower your doing the same thing at a slower rate. and it can be just as effective on breaking down ammonia and nitrites. But can leave behind some DOC's. Not a biggy on a QT tank for goldfish, So stick with your plan. HTH is right on with the plumbing, My main concern is you getting gunk trapped in the tower it self. The better you pre-filter your water before it gets to the TT the better it will work.

Reaction score
I built a diy foam fractionator 2 days ago. Materials cost 20quid, and its pumping out lots of brown horrible foam. It was another guys design. How is this different from a trickle tower?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
trickle towers are for biological filtration...foam phractionators or "protein skimmers" remove D.O.Cs "dissolved organic compounds" .. the flow on a trickle tower variers according to its size. and water volume its filtering.

Ask a Question