Foam filter glue

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I wouldn't glue it - you're actually going to make your life more difficult. Dirty foam filters can be heavy - you're making it heavier. Rinsing even a 1" thick foam filter can take a few minutes to get all the gunk out - a thicker filter will take much longer. All in all I think you're overthinking this one.
I service a neighbour's pond filter (Bioforce 12,000) and it's filters are 50 mm thick. Sure they get heavy, when clogged, but manageable.

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I service a neighbour's pond filter (Bioforce 12,000) and it's filters are 50 mm thick. Sure they get heavy, when clogged, but manageable.

Report Edit
couldn't agree more; I didn't even think how heavy this is going to be, though, I did wonder if any gluing would stand up to the machinations of continual washing, manipulating...And I'd surely just do as I first suggested; go to a foam store and get one piece cut. But, deaf ears and all...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So, basically all you are interested in is what type of adhesive to use? You could try a marine adhesive, or PL roofing goop. Be sure to let it dry well, and be gentle with the filters — I would expect tearing to happen due to the weight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't think any glue will last very long, but that's just a guess.

Sewing them together with fishing line, as someone suggested, might be the way to go.

Is it possible to buy bigger pieces that will fit properly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't think any glue will last very long, but that's just a guess.

Sewing them together with fishing line, as someone suggested, might be the way to go.

Is it possible to buy bigger pieces that will fit properly?
the weight of the waterlogged foam is going to tear along any stitching line, I would put money on it. And already suggested buying a one piece from a surplus foam store.

Ask a Question