United States
1641271168489.gif
@Tussy2
1641271204385.gif

Not sure about foam filter making?

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Building a bio filter, using 200 litre, 560 mm diameter drum. Want to glue peices of open-cell foam together, to make filters. If glued together the cleaning will be simpler.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Building a bio filter, using 200 litre, 560 mm diameter drum. Want to glue peices of open-cell foam together, to make filters. If glued together the cleaning will be simpler.
I think rubber cement is for foam rubber; should be waterproof but don't quote me on it. Not sure how long it'll last but you can be the one to let us know. Now, if you mean 'end to end', I dunno as I was talking one over the other, but doing it this way should only be on the edges (one over the other, glue along edges only) because the glue will probably be impenetrable for your water to get through and be filtered. If you're trying to get 'one huge piece' from many smaller, I'd just find a source that has a sheet of it and get them to cut you the size you want. If as above, you want more thickness, I'd still just keep them separates as it'll be easier to clean and particles caught between won't be trapped all the time, even after cleaning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
MAybe, and i say maybe, with hot glue at right temperature...so can glue the pieces, but not melt em...need to go to my basement and try it o_O

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Need to glue pieces of foam together to make filter. If it's in one piece, it'll filter more efficiently and be easier to clean.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Need to glue pieces of foam together to make filter. If it's in one piece, it'll filter more efficiently and be easier to clean.
If glue does not work maybe try to sew it together w/fishing line? Or maybe those little plastic thingy's that you shove through and they hold together through that hole thingy and can't come apart. Oh just thought of the name...............zip ties!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you glue them together, water won’t be able to pass through as easily, which will make the filter less effective.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had this envisioned all wrong. I was thinking of a square w/the middle empty. If this person is putting them all squished together in a big block then yes it will be a pain to clean. The innards would keep all that gunk inside. I need a visual picture of what is going on here to be sure.

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I had this envisioned all wrong. I was thinking of a square w/the middle empty. If this person is putting them all squished together in a big block then yes it will be a pain to clean. The innards would keep all that gunk inside. I need a visual picture of what is going on here to be sure.
Have several pieces of 50 mm thick foam. None of them big enough, for the 560mm diameter filter drum , thinking I'll need 2 layers of foam, so need to glue up. The two foam pads will not be glued together.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wouldn't glue it - you're actually going to make your life more difficult. Dirty foam filters can be heavy - you're making it heavier. Rinsing even a 1" thick foam filter can take a few minutes to get all the gunk out - a thicker filter will take much longer. All in all I think you're overthinking this one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wouldn't glue it - you're actually going to make your life more difficult. Dirty foam filters can be heavy - you're making it heavier. Rinsing even a 1" thick foam filter can take a few minutes to get all the gunk out - a thicker filter will take much longer. All in all I think you're overthinking this one.
I couldn't agree more; I didn't even think how heavy this is going to be, though, I did wonder if any gluing would stand up to the machinations of continual washing, manipulating...And I'd surely just do as I first suggested; go to a foam store and get one piece cut. But, deaf ears and all...

Ask a Question