mattress foam fish friendly for filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i wanted to replace my old filter fabric with this foam , is it safe or can it b poisonous or some thing? i will cut in to pads for easy cleaning .

upload_2017-7-25_17-4-8.jpeg

upload_2017-7-25_16-59-6.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm going to agree - I doubt you could even get water to flow easily through that dense pad when it's clean. Once it starts to collect debris, it would really be a problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Get Matala... much better. I'm sure you can get it shipped somehow across seas. They are on amazon.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Use pillow stuffing.
But yes this is fish safe, I have seen others use it before. make sure you give it a GOOD wash and soak in your bathtub for at least 3 hours, preferably in hot water.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@sissy...when I used the batting in the laundry basket when I pulled my submersible pond, I was pleasantly surprised to see how easily it rinses. Hung it on the clothesline to dry and it still looks like new.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hang mine up but the birds have a habit of picking it apart or the owls just take the whole thing for a nest .I don't mind sharing it with them when it gets old and falls apart but they get greedy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
thnx all .
quilt batting gets out fine stuff and is easy to rinse and reuse ,
i have quilt atm but its not easy to clean compared to blocks pads of sponges and when it gets older starts to break its a mess thats why i was thinking some thing else , i have few sponges for polishing and they were super easy to clean and handle as they are small pieces and just need small squeeze and it is like new . quilt is like handling deadmeat lol but i must say quilt works very well as mechanical and bio filter and dont need that frequent cleaning
Use pillow stuffing.
bro u mean quilt too?

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No, my good friend Dman on barrReport uses pillow stuffing (idk about quilt, maybe) once in a while, I don't know what parts or how. Don't have that info, you would have to ask him. I know many people use this method.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The type of foam in your pictures is USUALLY a "closed-cell" type, meaning the air bubbles are all individual, not connected as in "open-cell" foam. C-c foam will better support your body, since it doesn't compact like o-c foam, but water will run off it for the most part, making it useless for filtration. Also, some furniture foams contain anti-fungal and/or anti-mildew ingredients, which I would NOT want in MY pond!
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just started using the fiberglass screen door material in a basket w/a hose from the pond running into it. It collects lots of muck and so very easy to rinse off w/the garden hose. Easier than the quilt batting and the screen does not degrade.

Tip for free: The mattress foam stuff works well when you cut it in pieces to fit in the heel of your shoe if you have heel pain due to Planter Fasciitis, oh yes I know :smug:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
if cheap is your preferences buffer pads used for buffing /waxing/stripping floors about $5 each for a 17" diameter
White =polish very fine particles
red= medium particles
green= larger particles

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
window screen does degrade ,it is the reason I had to make new plant pockets .The back pad is a reusable furnace filter
101_0942.JPG

Ask a Question