food for 5"-6" goldfish

Reaction score
So going to pick up some 5-6:" goldfish for my pond and trying to figure out what to feed them. Are these considered small goldfish? Do I get the sticks or flakes? One brand a better deal than others? My local pond/fish store says everyone loves Tetra, but their quality has gone down and they just are living on their name only - guy full of it or no?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I switch it up between the Tetra sticks (Koi Vibrance and Koi Growth) and Pond Care (brand) pellets which are smaller than the regular Koi pellets. I thought the variety would be good so they get used to eating different types and brands. The goldfish and Koi seem to like all of them. My goldfish are between 5 - 8 inches and the Koi are 4 - 5 inches.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
sticks or pellets no flakes tetrapond is a high quality food.. hikari..and pondcare are easily available anywhere and priced right .......................... at 5"+ full size sticks are fine.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use flakes for only the really small koi. Small Koi can get to them before they disappear in my tanks. I have to have aquarium rocks to maintain the balance with so many Koi.

Ask a Question