goldfish and food

rdk

Reaction score
I have a small pond with 5 medium and small goldfish. Have have notice that now that the weather here in CT. is starting to get get a little bit cooler they are going far more crazy about having more food. They seem to now try to kill each other trying to get to the food first. I did not see this behavior to this extent this summer. Could this have something to do with the change of weather? Thank you very much.

Reaction score
this is normal. With their bodies they can feel that the colder temps are coming and they are starting to transition to winter. So, they're heads are screaming: eat! eat! eat! so that they have enough reserves to carry them through the winter hibernation.

Remember, do not feed them once the water temps hit 50 degrees. But for now feed them 3-5 times per day for as much as they'll eat for 5-10 minutes.

rdk

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I will start feeding much more often for now. I know my fish will love you for that advice. Thanks again.

Reaction score
don't be stingy with food throughout the summer--especially late summer. If you see them desperate to get at food that should be a sign to you that you need to give more. Of course, you need to be reasonable and not overfeed so that the water becomes polluted, too.

But 3-5 small meals throughout the day, especially this time of year is perfectly normal.

Ask a Question