Opinions, please, on goldfish food

Reaction score
My wife likes to use Tetra Spring/Fall. She's leaning towards using it all summer, too. It's not that we've tried them all or anything. We just read somewhere that Tetra is the most widely sold fish food so that's what we've been buying.

Baaaa :)

The supply is starting to get low. I was looking at AzPond's selection.

The Tetra Spring/Fall (listed as "Tetra Wheat Germ") is about $8.60/lb. And I've gotta spend $100 to get free shipping.

Several products above the Tetra Wheat Germ, AzPonds lists Ko Kichi Spring/Fall Wheat Germ. A 20lb. bag is $47, plus free shipping. That's about $2.40/lb.

Is Koi Kichi a good brand? Anyone try it out? Maybe the pieces are too big for goldfish?

While we're on this subject, do you think it's a mistake to feed the goldfish wheat germ all summer? The fish seem to get settled on a taste, then they get a bit flustered when she goes to a summer food. But I assume there are good reasons to use a summer food in the summer. I don't have any idea what those reasons might be. Is it all just marketing? Would the fish be fine with the same food all the time?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Would YOU be fine with the same food all the time? :grumble:
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
better off at petmountain.com they so far are the cheapest i have found and my fish love the osi blueberry ,strawberry and orange treats they sell ,The fish need the extra vitamins and minerals in summer food

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Webbs has free shipping w/ $49. purchase http://www.webbsonli...wodEGW-GA#tetra

I use the Tetra Spring/Fall and then Wardleys in the summer. I don't think Webbs has Wardleys tho but I bet Wardleys isn't that great for them anyways as the second ingred is ground corn. My fish seem no worse for the using of it tho. On another post we were comparing foods w/o corn and the price and addy had a good one and some other peeps did also.

Here's another place: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5470+7169&pcatid=7169&r=170

Reaction score
What? Is Pondcrastinator this forums' resident wise guy? First the sulfuric acid thing the other day, now this. :) Pond, I can't think of anything I'd want to eat every day for ever.

I just finished ordering some Tetra wheat germ, and some Koi Vibrance, from Webb's. Had to throw in a vacation block to get over $49. I like the idea of changing up their diet some, even if they act a little fussy about it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Had to think who in the heck is pondcrastinator............lol his forum name is HARO and real name John and I think he's just playing............as a wish guy,lol!
I could eat BBQ chicken all the time,lol!
Glad you found your fishy food. I've got enough to last for a long time.

Reaction score
I'd still appreciate any feedback from folks on Koi Kichi, or any of these other brands that may not be household names here in the U.S. of A. Otherwise I might have to start buying one of everything. Then the fish and my wife would be really annoyed.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ive read up on proper fish food storage, and follow these guidelines...once you open the bag of food its nutritional values begin to drop...you shouldnt buy food in bulk unless your gonna use it with 6 weeks, tops! it can loose 40 - 50% in the first month....aqlways store in a dark,cool, & dry space..if you want to keep them truely happy and healthy, a variety of foods and plenty of diced fresh fruit and vegetables.
wheatgerm is a good idea untill the water hits 55 - 60*f tho....
side note...tetrapond reccommends you use their foods up within 2 months...thats a little long in my opinion. i try to buy no more than 1 month at a time, myself.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Telkwa; I wasn't trying to be a 'wise guy', more of a 'devil's advocate'. But seriously, your fish have different dietary needs in the spawning season and summer than they do in the cooler weather. Any brand of food should be checked for content; personally I stay away from corn meal-based foods, and always check to make sure there is some fish, shrimp, or other seafood in it. The fish also get worms whenever it rains. (I pick them off the driveway). And seriously, even fried chicken would get a little stale if you had it for breakfast, lunch and supper seven days a week! Food for thought!!
John

Reaction score
Wow, thanks guys for the heads-up on stale food. We've only got a coupla dozen goldfish. We'd been buying food in bulk (3 lbs. or so) to save some dough. So they're getting food that's a few months old. Dangit, every time I turn around those goldfish get more expensive. We're bout to break into the food I bought a coupla weeks ago. Can you re-bag most of it and keep it in the freezer? Does that help any?

HARO, I was just kidding you about your posts. Group hug

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, thanks guys for the heads-up on stale food. We've only got a coupla dozen goldfish. We'd been buying food in bulk (3 lbs. or so) to save some dough. So they're getting food that's a few months old. Dangit, every time I turn around those goldfish get more expensive. We're bout to break into the food I bought a coupla weeks ago. Can you re-bag most of it and keep it in the freezer? Does that help any?

I heard throwing it in the freezer, in a good container it would help. I have some in the freezer won a 10lb bag of expensive koi food, froze part of it. My goldies love it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm gonna have to freeze some of mine also as these little goldies don't eat that much especially when I only feed them now and then. They would pig out if I let them tho!

Ask a Question