For those who have a established pond

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The beneficial bacteria bottles are enzymes that promote and target certain types of nitrifying bacteria.

After servicing hundreds of ponds, building them, and using or not using bacteria enzymes I can confidently say that it is absolutely a benefit and not snake oil.

Providing a steady diet to these bacterial colonies along with adequate aeration and circulation will keep your water column healthier than without.

Limnologists will argue this as well. If your goal is a oligotrophic body of water then adding in bacterial enzymes on a regular and consistent basis is 100% beneficial.
Most aren’t shooting for an oligotrophic body of water, keeping nutrients down is a goal, but not to the point that the body of water would be considered oligotrophic. Especially in plant nutrients unless keeping a DKP, with a eco pond most are going for a balance.

Whose to say it’s a benefit or not idk, I know it is not necessary to maintain a healthy pond if the design, ie nutrient uptake, circulation, proper filtration/aeration, proper stocking levels and understanding of the what’s and whys are taken care of from the beginning. So regardless of snake oil or not, it is a waste of money imo (th shelved bacteria in a bottle not the refrigerated stuff like fritz-zyme) as it is unnecessary.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The only additive I have used is Nualgi it's not bacteria as much as it is diatoms. Same idea they feed on algae cells and waste. Leaves and decaying matter
Good to know. Thnx.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love this site

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for being cordial on a very controversial subject. I truly enjoy reading the views of people I look up to and respect for guidance on subjects matter regarding pond building, fish care, and plant subject.

As we are all coming out of a colder/cooler season we have to weigh in the facts.
1. Bio filtration operates between the temperature of 32-120 degrees Fahrenheit, obviously the sweet spot is the mid section of this temp.
2. Bacteria takes time to activate and it works very slowly. it is sensitive to temp, pH, hardness, oxygen. it usually lags behind all these parameters. it is not a snap your fingers and its done.

At best from what has been talked about on this subject is:
It is better to be pro active than reactive.
if one does chose to add a bacteria to there system a live specimen is a better choice. IMOP it would be best to add this slightly after lager temperature swing ie. cold nights warm day have settled down to give the culture a fighting chance to thrive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just tested my water, I left the pond running all winter with a new bog. Thought maybe test levels would be elevated, ph was bit high but glad the rest of the levels were spot on

Built the shelf for the Bakki shower. But i'm going to have the weir empty into the top of the snorkel adding all the O2 the bog could ever use and could never strip it all. So that water will then have to come up through the Bog.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oligotrophic.
Had to look that one up.

Mother nature makes twists and turns geographically . unfortunately the water and conditions vary greatly. So what works in one area may not in another like @Jhn said,. Neither he or I have used a bacteria additive.
The bog has worked great for me. The bakki shower adds to a lacking that a bog has o2 . All levels are great, it's more for growing of the koi. So if a sudden spike should occur the idea is the shower will be that needed buffer. It's being Pro active and not reactive

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it can't hurt
If the bottle has been sitting around a couple years or maybe has frozen . The bottle could have gone bad so if it smells like rotten eggs don't use that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
If the bottle has been sitting around a couple years or maybe has frozen . The bottle could have gone bad so if it smells like rotten eggs don't use that.

I just want to add that not all bottles that stink is a bad thing.

For example, I personally use PL- Microbe-Lift made by Ecological laboratories. An international biotechnology company specializing in the development and production of microbial products for the natural treatment of environmental issues associated with the various uses of water and recycling of organic matter. There is a reason this particular bottle stinks like rotten eggs. The science behind the smell: The hydrogen sulfide acts like anesthesia to put the bacteria to sleep. That’s why their live bacteria have the longest shelf life on the market. When you open the bottle and pour MICROBE-LIFT/PL into your pond, the hydrogen sulfide flashes off and dilutes in the water allowing the beneficial bacteria to wake up and become active.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yup snake oil ..lol.. I'LL just grab some muck from my pea stone bog place it in the top of the shower and seed it that way.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Had to look that one up.

Mother nature makes twists and turns geographically . unfortunately the water and conditions vary greatly. So what works in one area may not in another like @Jhn said,. Neither he or I have used a bacteria additive.
The bog has worked great for me. The bakki shower adds to a lacking that a bog has o2 . All levels are great, it's more for growing of the koi. So if a sudden spike should occur the idea is the shower will be that needed buffer. It's being Pro active and not reactive
Lol…I knew the word but looked to make sure I remembered it right.

I was being proactive doubling the size of my pond and adding a second bog, fun being on here, seeing all the ideas tossed around to try. Have used a bunch of them myself.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol…I knew the word but looked to make sure I remembered it right.

I was being proactive doubling the size of my pond and adding a second bog, fun being on here, seeing all the ideas tossed around to try. Have used a bunch of them myself.
The only way I could increase the bog would have opened the door for MAJOR renovations. Which would have opened the door for another expansion. I'm trying to stick with what I have now no more building There simply wasn't enough room to increase the bog though I would have loved to. The down hill edge of the bog has a 7 foot drop or more. You know whats required for a 7 foot high retaining wall. The shower required a quick shelf be built.

I wish the pond had more volume but I'll just have to limit the amount of fish in the pond. I will have several fish looking for a new home in the spring.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Last year was the first year I didn’t have any offspring from the herd in the pond. Hopefully that is due to the 12 Pygmy sunfish I threw in the pond, definitely isn’t because of fat bastard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And what will keep the pygmy from over populating ? fish hook ? frying pan.?

I loved the danios swimming around last year can't do the sunnies

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
And what will keep the pygmy from over populating ? fish hook ? frying pan.?

I loved the danios swimming around last year can't do the sunnies
Hopefully the pygmies are cannibals or yes fishing hook will be in order. They max out at about 3” so it may take them abit to get going. Of course, I have a bunch Of white cloud minnows in there now too, no solution for them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hopefully the pygmies are cannibals or yes fishing hook will be in order. They max out at about 3” so it may take them abit to get going. Of course, I have a bunch Of white cloud minnows in there now too, no solution for them.
yea watch the danios they were breeding like rabbits but it appears the cold weather and we really didn't have much in that sense took care of population control. I will have to order more., And i'm ok with that

Ask a Question