Fortify top edge with concrete mix?

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Maybe a dumb question, but since I don't know the answer, I will ask.

The top edge of my new pond is crumbly due to a very high percentage of sand. The rest of the pond, though sandy also, is structurally much more stable. It is just the top edge that is extra crumbly because of ADDED sand from what used to be the swimming pool underlayment. I am stressing each time I take a step and it caves in a bit. I still have to fill the pond with water and rock the first ledge (that is all the rock I will be using...I won't be rocking in the WHOLE pond). I know the water will help, but there will only be about 3" of water above that first ledge, and I doubt that will add much stability.

As I was driving to the doctor yesterday, I noticed many people who have taken unopened bags of concrete mix and just stacked them in a pile next to their driveway's culvert. With rain and time, it formed a hard "wall" to prevent washing in the area.

The thought occurred to me that maybe I could just mix in dry, bagged concrete mix to the top edge of soil, and then sprinkle with water, then tamp the edge good with a tamper. Right now if I tamp, it just caves in.

If I do this, it seems like once it dried, it would be fortified with the concrete mix and would not crumble as easily. What do you all think? I'm trying to figure out the least expensive way to get an edge that can be walked on without caving in each time. And I personally don't want to use bricks. And I don't have huge boulders to put on the first ledge. That would help, I'm sure. But unfortunately it's not in the budget.

Thanks!

Sandy

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have actually done this with a walkway. The layer I put down was only 2" thick and it did crack when walked on. I would recommend a layer 8-10 inches and don't mix in too much soil.

Ask a Question