Forum Upgrade on the horizon!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Upgrade is scheduled for tomorrow (30th Jan 2014) all being well :).

I'll post in this thread again shortly before I begin the upgrade, but the site may be offline for an hour or so while the upgrade takes place.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Please assure is that all our posts will remain. I would hate to lose my story of how my teens will cause me to see you naked.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Please assure is that all our posts will remain
Fear not, all the posts will be right where you left them :).

Reaction score
Ian,

During this upgrade, could and would you alter one item?

When we post to a thread, we are automatically set to "follow" that thread and therefore recieve email notifications for every new post made to that thread. Can you set it up so that we have to select to follow the thread if we desire, rather than automatically setting it to do so? I generally know which threads I am posting to that I want to follow up on and don't require the notifications coming to my normal email account. I would like to have the option of being able to set a thread as being followed because it is of high interest to me, but I don't want to follow each and every thread I post to all the time. Can this be adjusted so that we have to select "follow this thread" manually?

Gordy

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ian,

When we post to a thread, we are automatically set to "follow" that thread and therefore recieve email notifications for every new post made to that thread. Can you set it up so that we have to select to follow the thread if we desire, rather than automatically setting it to do so? I generally know which threads I am posting to that I want to follow up on and don't require the notifications coming to my normal email account. I would like to have the option of being able to set a thread as being followed because it is of high interest to me, but I don't want to follow each and every thread I post to all the time. Can this be adjusted so that we have to select "follow this thread" manually?

Gordy
Hi Gordy,

Yes, that is indeed possible with the new software :). I do that very same thing myself on XenForo - I use the on-page alerts to notify my of replies, but instant e-mail notification to let me know of replies to important/urgent threads.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
gordy in the settings there is a way to say don't follow the threads, did that long time ago. Disliked getting all of those emails, I get enough, more than enough lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be starting the upgrade very soon - I'll make the forum "read only" while it goes ahead :). Once everything is in read only mode, I'll add a notice to the forum.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ian,

Gordy

If you didn't find it Gordy, under your name is preferences, click that and under options you can tell it not to send you email notifications, or automatically watch threads.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great gordy makes it a lot nicer to not have all of those emails.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We all get comfy click without needing to think, change is good, but it does take some time to adjust. I keep going to that little x the old forum had to preview a thread............not there lol, so retraining my hand movements.

Ask a Question