Found a great blog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
For those of us in the US, the water flow conversion rates are actually a lot easier... Width of waterfall (in inches) times 60 minutes. So by their estimates, if your waterfall is 10" wide, you need a flow rate of about 600 gallons per hour.

Unfortunately I find these numbers to be horribly small. My own waterfall is about 30" wide, which by their calculations would need a pump of 1800g/h. I simply cannot imagine my waterfall even making any noise with that little water. My pumps (including head-height) push around 5000g/h, and this is on the lower end of what I consider to be a visually acceptable flow rate. In my opinion, if you want a waterfall with a lot of splashing and noise, you will want to take the above figures and multiply them x3. If you want your water crashing down the rocks like a mountain river, take those number x4.

Ask a Question