Found some voodoo activity in winter storage

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
IT HAPPENED! Sunday morning the floral scent starting changing. It's bad, saturated the air with stench. I described it as a dead fish out in the summer sunshine. Others say it's like a dead mouse. By afternoon we had headaches and couldn't take it anymore. I made a mini "Dexter kill room" in the garage, with a heater, and moved the plant out there. When the stink goes away (they say it will), then it can come back inside.

The flower did open though, and the stalk continues to grow an inch and a half each day - 65" tall now. Still need to figure out how to pollinate it - maybe a Q-tip full rubdown? The future seeds are visible in these zoomed pics.

voodoo-9-Mar 12 full flower.jpg

voodoo-8-Mar 12 - inside flower backlit.jpg

Voodoo-10-Mar 12 zoom inside.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow, this is amazing!
Where are the pollen? the big thing in the middle?

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I'm not yet sure. There is no visible pollen dust. In that last picture there are 2 separate looking sections in the bottom of the flower. Maybe one of those has pollen.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow that thing grows like a bad weed! Glad you had a place to put it while it stinks!

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Update!

The 2nd flower went into stink mode 5 days ago and was moved to the garage It is the smallest of the 3 and was up to 45" when we moved it.

The 3rd flower got moved today, the scent was too overwhelming. It's not quite the full-on dead rodent smell yet, but a very powerful stinky floral smell. It's 64" tall and is the same height as the 1st flower.

The 1st flower is winding down. I don't think it has any scent remaining, but as I don't know where it is with the fertilization process, it gets to stay with its 2 buddies. The top of the flower is losing strength, starting to go limp a bit. (fulfilling the lifecycle of the phallus)

All 3 are in the garage in a plastic wrapped heated chamber.

Here's the 3rd flower before moving it:
voodoo-medium pot stinking 3-23-2017.png

Here's their enclosure in the garage:
voodoo-all 3 plants in confinement 3-23-2017.jpg

Ask a Question