Found the problem. Now what?

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
They make all kinds of couplings for PVC pipes. I would recommend a regular coupling vs a repair coupling. There is more surface area for the glue to make a secure joint. Depending on where its at, I would cut out that section of pipe and put a coupling on each end. You might have a hard time getting a good solid joint where its been leaking at. I use lots of primer to get the pipe kinda tacky before putting the glue on each piece of the connection.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Someone forgot to glue a joint. Happens. I've had missed joints in sprinkler systems hold for years and then give way. Kind of vibration thing I think. Dry PVC can be very difficult to pull apart, but a little shaking and they let go.

I like to use a PVC glue with color, like Red Hot vs clear because it's easier to spot missed joints. I wouldn't be overly concerned with flushing the system, a little soil in the pipe shouldn't hurt anything since these isn't for portable water. I wouldn't bother waiting more than maybe 10 minutes since this is a low pressure system. But of course it wouldn't hurt anything to do both.

I found some PVC glue that was blue and was listed as pool glue. Not sure what was different about it but I got some and have had good luck with it.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Leak has been repaired. I ended up having to dig up the entire lenght of pipe so that we could get in the new piece. We primed and glued it really well and so far no sign of a leak. Thanks for all of the advice. Its nice to have a place to come to when something isn't working.

Ask a Question