Frogs Only Please.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
grrr.... no frogs yet... it's been a long time.. I think I'll probably have no frog this year, even though i have millions flies..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Darn, Nepen, you need to go frog hunting in local ponds and bring some home. Surely some of them would stay!
Addy, love the tiny babies! As many toads as I heard singing last week, I've not spotted a single group of eggs in the ponds yet, so wonder if they are under lily pads, or just didn't find any girls to mate with!
JW, love your pic in the Azolla! That stuff is soooo pretty, looks like fall colors. I love it. I had some, but it didn't come back this year. Got some duck weed that came back in the stream, it's on the side held in place by parrots feather and that other vining plant that looks like a mini mini lily, and has a little yellow flower, which I can never remember the name of .... will have to look back on my pics and figure it out!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I know, right? CountryEscape :) I'm tired of complaining about no frog at my pond :sick:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do you think that due to the unusual cold last winter, lots of frogs are dead and especially the tads that take 2 years to change could be dead too? I'm thinking about my green frog who came out of hibernation to warmth then got freezing weather a week - a month later and she/he died.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, darn it, I could sure help you out since I have my farm pond out in the pasture. I suspect that's the only reason I have so many in my ponds eventually. Right now, I have 2 residents in the goldfish pond, one is not worried about me, the other bails out soon as he/she sees me. Then 3 more in the koi waterfall bottom pool. Today, cooler, cloudy, rained yesterday, didn't see any this morning. They will be back in full force once it warms up for good. Last year I had no less than 10 at a time any time I went out to walk around the ponds, but that was later in the summer. My favorite little guy right now is the painted turtle. He's soooo hilarious, watching him compete with the koi for food. Been there since Sat. a.m., so I guess he likes the free handouts.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'll take the tads for shipping if you have some... no bull frogs though. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
All I have that I've ever been sure of were bullfrogs, sorry. They create no havoc in my ponds, though, so never have worried about getting rid of them. Survival of the fittest, and no fish have ever gone missing. If they eat a baby fry or some eggs, so be it. The fish do that, too. I do get leopard frogs seems like later in the summer, but never know the difference of the tads. Besides, the ONLY time I have seen tadpoles in either pond was when I dug out the koi pond bog 2nd year, to repair hole, and found large tadpoles in there. Only other taddies ever spotted were the teeny tiny black toad taddies, and then never noticed the baby toads emerge, so something must have eaten them, although they say goldfish and koi won't eat them, eggs or taddies. I just let nature find my ponds, and if they stay, it's great. If they leave or die, I'm sad, but others will come. I'm very lucky in that regard. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The only reason I said no bull frog just because I don't want to knowingly add a frog that can eat other native frogs around here. I'm sure they might be some here but I have not seen them. I saw some frogs about a mile away from my house so I hope they come. I had a frog came last year (but he/she died early this year) so hopefully this year they will too. But the flies and insects are so great right now I think the frogs would be so happy if they are here right now! lol.

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
First frog since pond rebuild.

3-4 overwintered without success this past winter, it was pretty harsh. Glad to have them back, always had 5-6 around last year.

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, Tex, not sure about your Texas frogs, but in Illinois, they don't sing for very long. Seems my bullfrogs might do some minor croaking all throughout the summer, but for maybe a month or so is the main breeding time for all frogs where I'm from.
TgM, what part of Southern Illinois are you from? I'm just SW of Effingham.

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
Well, Tex, not sure about your Texas frogs, but in Illinois, they don't sing for very long. Seems my bullfrogs might do some minor croaking all throughout the summer, but for maybe a month or so is the main breeding time for all frogs where I'm from.
TgM, what part of Southern Illinois are you from? I'm just SW of Effingham.
Just down the road, South of Heartville.

Ask a Question