Frogs Only Please.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Wow figgy they are awesome!!!

I'm happy with the 1!!!! I have found is still alive. It's tiny. But it's tail is almost gone now.

I seem to be collecting adult frogs as I now have 4 all sitting in one bush... Hopefully in years to come mine will be likes yours!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The overwinter tads survived the winter, in shallow tiny ponds, I was surprised.

The toads laid eggs a month plus ago, they have already grown legs and hopped away, the tree frogs laid at the same time, they are now hopping away. The green frogs are just now dumping eggs. They share the pond nicely, each one picking a different time of year to drop eggs.
oh addy, do you still have the green frog eggs I can buy from you?

I'm so desperate, pretty sad.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Let me look for you, I have only seen two eggs dumps from the frogs a week or so back, not as many as I normally see. If I can find some it would be just for shipping.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Figgy, what is the green plant in the last pic? Does it bloom, and does it grow in shallow water or float in deeper water, too? Don't think I've ever seen it before, and maybe not since you are in the UK! Cute tadpole/frogs!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Let me look for you, I have only seen two eggs dumps from the frogs a week or so back, not as many as I normally see. If I can find some it would be just for shipping.
thank you!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Finally, here are pics of my frogs. I didn't know I had two until recently when I heard two plops into the pond when I lifted the net. I finally saw both of them only today and rushed back in to get my camera.

Here's frog #1, who is the one I usually see. All he does is sit there doing absolutely nothing even when I approach him closely. The only time he moves is when I move the net, then he jumps right into the pond:
51zndt.jpg

Here is frog #2, whom I saw for the first time today. Are they same breeds?
13ylclx.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cool you have two now. I think I scared mine off cuz I haven't seen them since I moved some plants around and was doing some work on the edging rocks. No clue on if same breed but I have seen those same different shades on the ones here also. Used to see a bigger green one but not this year.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Was walking on a trail today and saw hundreds of tadpoles in a small vernal pond. Wanted to collect them but had nothing on me to put them in. Might head back next week and see if they're still there. Its always a cool sight to find tadpoles in nature.

Reaction score
Figgy, what is the green plant in the last pic? Does it bloom, and does it grow in shallow water or float in deeper water, too? Don't think I've ever seen it before, and maybe not since you are in the UK! Cute tadpole/frogs!

The green plant is Common Water Starwort (Callitriche stagnalis). The leaves spread out across the surface from stems up to 60cm long.

Last edited:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Are you referring to the LIGHT green plant? It's duckweed.
John

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Last night I attended the architectural committee of the Home Owner's Association. The pedestrian requestees were there, patio, fence, deck, you know, the same ol same ol.

I was last in line and they reviewed my map and stack of photos and roman aqueduct application and were astonished as they'd never before heard of or seen anything like it. My request sailed through approved and they asked to come over and watch the trains and boats go thru the aqueduct. They thought it neat that frogs and tadpoles made their home there. They said the neighbor behind me really ought to get a French drain installed as standing water indicates a drainage problem.

So things worked out nicely. I have a splitting headache today, however, which I rarely get, b/c I was so stressed leading up to the meeting

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Are you referring to the LIGHT green plant? It's duckweed.
John

Think the Starwort is a bit different:
PondWaterStarwort.jpg
Pond water-starwort (Callitriche stagnalis)
Small, delicate plants usually found in shallow water and loosely rooted to the bottom. It is an aquarium plant and could be introduced into natural areas through dumping of aquarium vegetation and spread by birds.

Overview
Other names for this plant include:

• Common names: common starwort, common water-starwort, water chickweed

Identification

Leaves: Opposite; narrow and submersed (up to 10mm wide) with one rounded leaf tip are sometimes present; oval or spoon-shaped floating leaves are up to 10 mm wide; joined by tiny ridges at the base.

Flowers: Tiny; lack sepals and petals; located at the leaf bases on minute stalks; 2-4 tiny whitish bracts emerge from the flower base

Fruits & seeds: Small, located at the leaf bases; four compartments, each containing one seed; oval, 1.2-1.8mm long, 1.2-1.7mm wide, narrow margin all around (wing); bracts at base.

Roots: Fibrous, from plant base or sprouting from stem joints.

Similar species: May be confused with other starworts; to be sure of identification to species, the surfaces of mature fruit need to be examined under 10-20x magnification.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Last night I attended the architectural committee of the Home Owner's Association. The pedestrian requestees were there, patio, fence, deck, you know, the same ol same ol.

I was last in line and they reviewed my map and stack of photos and roman aqueduct application and were astonished as they'd never before heard of or seen anything like it. My request sailed through approved and they asked to come over and watch the trains and boats go thru the aqueduct. They thought it neat that frogs and tadpoles made their home there. They said the neighbor behind me really ought to get a French drain installed as standing water indicates a drainage problem.

So things worked out nicely. I have a splitting headache today, however, which I rarely get, b/c I was so stressed leading up to the meeting

Really happy for you that it went so well. Bet your neighbor is going to be upset eh?

Ask a Question