Frogs, Salamanders, Clams

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
I was on a pond supply's website today and I saw that they were selling clams, salamanders and frogs for ponds.. now, frogs are nothing new. As a kid we had a preformed pond with some tadpoles that eventually turned into frogs and ran away or got eaten by bigger critters..

Now i have my own pond and its a LOT bigger. Its 8feet long by 5 feet wide and has a 2 ft deep shelf around the outer edge but is 4 feet deep in the deepest area.

I live in the connecticut BTW, cold winters, hot summers.

I WOULD LOVE to have a family of salamanders in my pond... but I also want fish.. Right now I am trying to decide between the Fancy Fan Tail (blob like) gold fish, or the basic koi/comets.

So my question is.. will salamanders survive with ANY of those fish in a pond with it, or will they eat the salamanders? For salamanders would I need an AMPHIBIAN ONLY pond so they are safe??

Also, anyone here have clams? I read that they are great for a natural filter/cleaning system... when we had tanks, we were really good at keeping a natural tank cleaning eco system. i would like the same with the pond..

Ask a Question