Frogs??

Reaction score
We have a smaller 125 gallon pond and I'm thinking of ordering a few Leopard Frog tadpoles. Bullfrogs are non-native here and if you want them at all you need to find tadpoles in a stream or pond. Bullfrogs are also invasive in that they are decimating one species of oregon turtle.

Anybody try frogs?? We had one once before, in our previous pond, that our neighbor kids brought up from a creek. Made a nice "ribbit" sound at night. Lived a few years, but finally died.

Reaction score
Pacific tree frogs (hyela regilla, I think), also called chorus frogs are doing well at my pond. They wintered in the rock crevices of my waterfall and coping. They need thick wet, plant undergrowth near the pond to thrive. A large patch of ubiquitous sword fern works nicely for me. They came out this weekend when we were hit by 90 degree plus weather (SoCal). One caution, they are tiny, but LOUD. These were originally hand collected from arroyo streambeds in our area.

Ask a Question