Frogs

B

Burd

I still have ice in the pond. I don’t see any frogs, but I did see one moving around when we had the arctic blast. Of 4 I had last year, let’s see, I hope they made it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I thought I wanted frogs.....but daily I had to pull at least 4 frogs outta the skimmer net or box. PITA.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
Here in oceanside Daytona Beach, our short spring is head-long heading for summer (highs in the mid 80s, lows in the mid 60s). Contrary to what many people think, Florida (at least Central Florida) actually does have seasons, with deciduous trees losing leaves in fall and growth patterns going into dormancy from October through March. But growth is now back in full swing.

Over the last week we have had toads and tree frogs galore coming to mate in our two connected 600 gal ponds. I didn't realize that toads reproduce in water just like frogs do, with tadpoles and all the rest. At night their calls are an irritating cacophony and the following morning the amphibians are nowhere to be found but I do find strands of eggs all over the Hydrilla. I leave the egg strands in there, as I believe my koi and comets are appreciative of eggs for breakfast. This is my third early summer with my ponds, and it's refreshing to see even the semi-aquatic plants coming back to life. I have water lilies that go dormant through the winter months and now I see stalks beginning to poke their heads up from their pots.

The frog population beachside survives by crawling into spider lilies, century plants and other succulents and residing at the leaf attachments to the stalks. Most of these type fronds grow out in a vee shape cross section that holds rainwater and can remain moist for even several weeks of drought. The frogs come out of hiding in the cool of night and search for fresh water to swim and frolic in before returning to their hiding places the next morning.

Attachments

• IMG_3275.PNG
    IMG_3275.PNG
    282.6 KB · Views: 189
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The noise from the toads is indeed piercing!
I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but check the species of toads that are in your area. Some species are toxic and although fish will avoid the tads, dogs will catch the occasional adult which will exude a toxin making the dog ill. A Google search will expand on this.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some species are toxic and although fish will avoid the tads
There are tons of eggs already, in a used to be fish less pond. I watched the fish snacking on them. Fish eggs or small fry made it down a long garden hose to make that pond their home.
My pup won't touch them she will bark at them, watch them, but no touching.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
Thanks for the caution, Timothy. While we don't have any dogs, we do have a cat that has relished bringing in geckos and frogs (and parts thereof). I haven't seen anything resembling a toad that he's brought in, but my wife and I are both concerned about the fact that he's developed some skin allergies or irritations that have caused him to scratch and pull tufts of fur from his stomach and back legs. I'm more inclined to think that he's picked up plant allergens from crawling over weedy underbrush than a systemic illness from toxic amphibians he may have ingested - but I will check on toxic toad species in central Florida.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Toads don't live in water, but they breed and lay ribbons of eggs in the water that entwine around plants, rocks, anything that they can get around. When the eggs mature and hatch they look very similar to frog tads. When they "grow up" they leave the pond until it's time for them to return for the annual symphony. Fortunately that only lasts two or three nights in our region.

Here's a pair laying egg ribbons. These are easily distinguished from frog eggs as the frogs are in jelly balls, or globs. (technical stuff here...)
Toad eggs 002.JPG

This is a fresh hatch of toad eggs...
.Toad Tads 004.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We get thousands of eggs, or at least a lot of hundreds. Never get a overload of toads around.

The crickets, flies other bugs pay the price.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We get thousands of eggs, or at least a lot of hundreds. Never get a overload of toads around.

The crickets, flies other bugs pay the price.
It is a mystery to me, as in spite of their massive numbers, they seem to disappear as abruptly as they arrived. They leave in "herds" and (for me) mowing the grass is put on hold for a few days. I tried to mow the grass after the first "invasion", but to avoid them the abrupt stops, sharp turns, and erratic behavior on my part had a neighbor come over and ask if I was OK. Of course when I explained what was happening and started looking for a baby toad to prove my sanity, guess how many we spotted............

Another photo of the ribbons
Steve and the 44' II 6-16-12 002.JPG

Several planning their escape
Freighter & Toads 7-17-12 001.JPG

Amazing how small yet fully formed they are
Toads 005.JPG

Ask a Question