Frustrated! EPDM fold problems

Reaction score
I am a bheginner and I chose to use marble 12" X 4" x1" marble bricks, three tall, around my 8' X 6' asian water garden. It has two levels, 75% of it is 2' and the trest 1ft'. I used a 4" ledge around my pond for the level placement of the bricks and allowed for pea gravel and leveling sand, underlayment, and 45MM EPDM rubber lining. My problem came when trying to level the bricks. at the liner stage. I never got to the waterfall foam and liquid nails part, as I could not get these bricks level when I came to the numerous folds in the liner on the corners and walls of the pond. Any ideas how I can get this pond edge level? It was level when I tested it on the pea gravel and leveling sand.

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time understanding what you are talking about. Perhaps a picture of what you're trying to do will help.

When you fold liners in corners, you fold them inwards toward the wall and not out into the pond. You may have to fold them several times in half until they meet up in a perfect seam in the center. Treat each side of the corner as separate pieces and fold them the same so that they meet up together at the corner. You kind of do a bit of a wide accordion fold.

I then bought liner seam tape (which is sticky on both sides) and put it behind the corner and stuck it in place.

Some folks think it's easier to fold while you're filling it up. I did it while dry, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to use the seam tape and didn't want water to build up in the well created by the folds.

It's not easy to to do. Just be patient.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Here is one picture. The walls are more square now. This is an earlier picture. This is 6' wide and 8' long. There is one 1' deep shelf at the right( as you are looking at the picture) so essentially I have two boxes connected to each other for my pond. My pond liner was 12' X 14' do I need a bigger one to accomodate the accordion folding?

Thank you for all you help.

Attachments

• IMG00075[1].jpg
    IMG00075[1].jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 595
Reaction score
I think I see what you're saying. Your ground is all uneven, so making the corner folds is rough.

You need to get that bottom perfectly flat. Rake/shovel the dirt so that your ground is even. This will make laying the liner in easier.

But based on your measurements, it does sound like your liner is way too small. Unfortunately, with liner you will have waste no matter what. You need to go up to the next size.

Ask a Question