Fry with 2 tails

Reaction score
This summer i kept a handfull of my goldfish eggs in a separate tank just to rear a few for a friend, they are about 3 weeks old now and i have just noticed that 1 of them has 2 tails like a butterfly tail, i have never had fancy tailed fish in the pond so both parents are definitely single tail, is this normal? It is swimming about and feeding ok, hopefully if it keeps going i will keep that one myself .

Reaction score
well i managed to get some pics today this was the besst i could manage, my AF was struggling to find something to focus on, what i am wondering is it common to get a twin tail from single tail parents ??
DSCF0003.jpg
DSCF0002.jpg

Reaction score
yes sissy it does have to swim in a slighlt different manner to its siblings, looks like it has to put more energy into movement than the others, will keep an eye on it to make sure it is getting fair share of food.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that is how fantails move they wiggle their butts and it does take more energy and they move slower

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I have had two of them in the pond. My son calls them propeller tail. The first one disappeared about two years ago with about 30 other comets, stupid heron. Last year number two showed up and is going strong. I worry because he is much slower than the rest of the fish but so far, so good.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a cute baby! It will be fun watching it grow.

Ask a Question