Garden pond in nw NJ 850gal koi & goldfish

Reaction score
It is a very mild winter now, The past 2 seasons were a lot colder. We feed the fish a little every day from spring until the first freeze. Since the pond did not freeze for any long period this winter, we stopped feeding after the freak snowstorm the end of Oct. Now it is mid March, 70f and the fish are active. Is it ok to feed [flake food] now or should we wait ?
Also all summer the pond was not clear. Not green but sort of muddy. It did not change at all over the winter. Usually when the water temp drops the water clears, but not this time. The pond has a cannister filter with uv . It did need cleaning often over the summer [lots of algae] but the water did not clear up.
The filter is removed over the winter and will reinstall the end of this month. Is AlgaeFix ok to use ? or any other solutions?
The pond is fiberglas approx 8x10x24in deep There is no mud or dirt in it except for a lilly container that is rootbound 10inx10in.
We have heron visits and foxes; will discuss that next time ! Thanks, Daffy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome1.gif
Daffy
daffy6.gif

Do you have koi or goldfish? I think it would be ok to feed your fish a little maybe once per day if your temps are going to remain above 50F. Check your weather forecast and see if the higher temps will be around for awhile and if they are then go ahead. Also what is your pond water temp? If that is below 50F then I would not feed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefromgang4.gif
Glad you joined!

I still have not fed mine, pond is up to a nice 63 now.
My water was murky, cloudy towards the end of the "winter" we had, once I turned back on my bog filter the water was clear within one day.

Reaction score
welcome1.gif
Daffy
daffy6.gif

Do you have koi or goldfish? I think it would be ok to feed your fish a little maybe once per day if your temps are going to remain above 50F. Check your weather forecast and see if the higher temps will be around for awhile and if they are then go ahead. Also what is your pond water temp? If that is below 50F then I would not feed.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
outside temps are irrelevant...its water temps that matter...if your water is 55* or higher for several days and is gonna stay that way. you can go ahead and feed. start lightly. and i would suggest a wheatgerm based food untill your water temp stays at or above 65* then you can go to their regular diet. their digestion and metabolism is very slow right now. dont be over anxious. if their really hungry they can nibble off the pond until its time to feed.

Reaction score
I have lots of goldfish [survivors of pet shop feeders] they are 3-4in now; also 2 koi approx 8in. Had more koi but the heron & fox visits diminished their numbers. I fabricated a net with 3/4in pvc frame to keep the fox out at night and a dummy heron to keep a real one from landing. The dummy heron has to be moved every few days or the real ones wont be fooled.
The water still looks like downtown Hudson river water. I will install the filter the end of March & start feeding then. thanks, Daffy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey show us some pictures daffy whenever you can..............we'd love to see them. Most of our ponds now are still in the winter mode not looking real pretty right now but soon things will be blooming and sun will be shining and fish will be more active!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome daffy and hope you resolve the muddy water .I use quilt batting to pick up all the fine stuff .I guess the mild winter will end up being a hot dry summer .I never saw a fox or heron in NJ where I used to live all my life .I guess the middle of the state does not see them very much .

Ask a Question