Garden pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m new to having a pond. It’s about a month old. A few days ago I added a frog water spitter and now it is losing water overnight. I added a net also and just moved some rocks around. I don’t understand the lose of water. I’m going to remove the spitter for a day and see if that is the problem. If so then I will just add water twice a week. Any thoughts

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
2kittywelcome.gif
@Connie54
So it did not lose water for sure at all till you added that spitter?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Barring a leak in the hose of some sort, then evaporation is the culprit. Eliminating possible issues as you are doing is the way to go about it. Fountains and spitters can increase evaporation. They can also cause water loss from splashing out of the pond or having the wind blow the water outside the pond. Evaporation/water loss can vary greatly depending on climate and weather conditions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’m new to having a pond. It’s about a month old. A few days ago I added a frog water spitter and now it is losing water overnight. I added a net also and just moved some rocks around. I don’t understand the lose of water. I’m going to remove the spitter for a day and see if that is the problem. If so then I will just add water twice a week. Any thoughts
My guess would be you stepped on an edge somewhere and that's your leak

Reaction score
Country
United States
My guess would be you stepped on an edge somewhere and that's your leak
That's a very scary thought for me, especially as I'm still in the planning stage and considering the best way to build . Are all liners really so fragile? I thought EPDM and HDPE were supposed to be tough enough that that wouldn't matter, especially if you put geotextile above and below it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Has nothing to do with the liner , its the builder and how they built the edges

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lets say you have a vanishing edge water level is always at the same level. if you have a half inch that the liner is higher than the water line . It gives you very little room for rains to compact soils that were disturbed during construction and walking on the edge can shift soils easily. any edge under 2 inches is risky as whisking and every time we step there is literally 2000 pounds of pressure is applied . so its easy to create a problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
lets say you have a vanishing edge water level is always at the same level. if you have a half inch that the liner is higher than the water line . It gives you very little room for rains to compact soils that were disturbed during construction and walking on the edge can shift soils easily. any edge under 2 inches is risky as whisking and every time we step there is literally 2000 pounds of pressure is applied . so its easy to create a problem
Makes sense. I thought you were talking about punctures more than shifting and sinking, but I can see how that would happen too.

Ask a Question