Turtles in Garden Ponds

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes, but you need to escape proof the pond, protect it from predators and many species are omnivores and can shred plants.

I’ve kept Diamondback terrapins 8n my ponds for years, and they do fine with plants and the fish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in UK. Is temperature an issue for them. I also have fish in my pond. Its a reasonable size around 5000litre pond.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No I keep them in my pond year round they do fine even when it is in the single digits occasionally and ice forms on the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Jhn 'S TURTLES ARE Amazing IF i could i'd do terrapins but i have no way to escape proof my pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I could not wait to put turtles in my pond. Now I somewhat regret it. Last summer, my one large red eared slider destroyed all my lilies. It threw the whole rhythm of the pond off—not enough shade and water was green. The worse part is, she didn’t even *eat* the lilies. She just sheared off every leaf one by one. Per advice on this forum, I will add azolla, duck weed and frog bit in hopes the turt will eat it instead of killing my lilies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a painted turtle for a month or more it never destroyed the lilies

Reaction score
Country
United States
I could not wait to put turtles in my pond. Now I somewhat regret it. Last summer, my one large red eared slider destroyed all my lilies. It threw the whole rhythm of the pond off—not enough shade and water was green. The worse part is, she didn’t even *eat* the lilies. She just sheared off every leaf one by one. Per advice on this forum, I will add azolla, duck weed and frog bit in hopes the turt will eat it instead of killing my lilies.
I've had native species of turtles visit my ponds and never any problem with the plants. They would come and go. Sometimes I would note a few of the ribbon leaves of a Jungle Val had been 'chomped' on but that is about it. It is possible they might have been snagged by a passing turtle rather than eaten. But that is not my experience with Red Ear Sliders (RES). They have always destroyed the plants. The only plant I've found that is tough enough to withstand their attacks is the Red Mangrove.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have eastern painted turtles in my pond with no problem to fish or plants.

Attachments

• IMG_7189.jpg
    IMG_7189.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 8

Ask a Question