getting my fish drunk...... seriously, watch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I do not know if a koi will survive 1.008, I am just suggesting that they are a bottom feeder that can evolve to live in non desired areas.
I'm not here to be a 'teacher' I'm just here to have fun and see others with a similar hobby.
I like seeing other folks that have actually done things, not talk about them.
Am I trying to prove a point about carbon dosing? No, it's been done before.
Do I need a ff to remove the doc? Nope.
Interesting mario personaly after all these years of keeping koi I'd say yes they are designed through evolution to be bottom feeders and have bottom facing ,mouths because of it.
Koi are omnivorous opportunistic feeder's, meaning they need both protein and plant matter in their diets and will look for these nutrients anywhere they can get them and giving them an all round nutritional diet
As such we find them in their foraging for food acctually making use of all levels of the water table to find and eat food.
They have taken every advantage of this as have their cousins the Goldfish who are just as opertunistic,
Weve seen our own koi giving an orfe a run for their money at feeding times and orfe are built for the job with mouth designed for surface eating and body built for rapid speed with a darting hit the food run retreating into the depths
Cyprinids feeding at all levels isnt an evolved thing as such, its more a learned opertunistic thing.
Which you will find applies to many of the cold water species of bottom feeders you choose read about .

Dave

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Please keep negative comments to yourself. There is no reason for any posters to start on line bickering. Let this thread get back on track.
Thank you

Reaction score
I just gave my pond a shot, the birds are laying on the side of the pond laughing and smoking ciggies, hope I didn't add too much ..... oooops!

Kidding! I added the suggested amount. I'll let you know if I see a difference! I'm excited and nervous at the same time!

Reaction score
I'm green. I found out my well water had nitrates in it, so all the water changes I was doing slowed down my UV from clearing it up - someone on here warned me of that, and now I get it! I should of tested the well water, BUT my other ponds were fine, I guess they have less fish and more plants.

Its been 45mins and nothing yet ...... not sure what's going on. I thought it would it be a miracle. I expect big things from a thread 7 pages long!

I don't plan to do it every day, I just wanted to try it and see if it helped my UV along.

Reaction score
I stopped dosing and will continue when temps get above 50. Worked pretty sweet and happy with the results. Cleaned all my algae and prepared 4 winter. Probably the cheapest spring filter prep too.

How many doses did you do? Did you have green water? Or just algae on the sides and bottom? I just did my first 3 hours ago. I have green water.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Good idea.
It's one thing to play around with carbon dosing in a small glass aquarium where you can observe and react quickly if things start to go wrong, it's another to try it in a dark pond that you can only observe from the top.
Especially when you are not familiar with the process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Good idea.
It's one thing to play around with carbon dosing in a small glass aquarium where you can observe and react quickly if things start to go wrong, it's another to try it in a dark pond that you can only observe from the top.
Especially when you are not familiar with the process.
Agreed Mitch if your going to do this Priscilla make sure you have all the facts before you before you even attempt to do this , thats what we plan to do if we try this and it wouldnt be on the main pond.
Our QT pond would be the site of that experiment its the most sensible way forwards in our eyes dont you think ?

Dave

Ask a Question