Gill curling

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi all,
My blue shubunkin that got from pet smart like half a year ago, who stayed in my inside tank during winter and just went to the big pond in spring, has developed a gill curl.

I tried to get a picture but couldn't catch him :(

His 'soft' part of the gill seems to flip/curl over the harder part (the plate). I noticed this about 4 days ago (before my son put the 3 new fish in the pond) but thought it was spawning injury and it will heal by itselfe but it has not. It's only on one side.

Is there anything wrong with him? Can I do something?

PH about 8, 0 everything else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Nepen I dont think you have problem ith your pond I think its ore genetic than pond , I've come cross gill curling in goldfish only once ever before in our 27 years of fish keeping and that was in my neighbour Dot's pond ,
It wa leading quite a happy little life and keeping up with the best of them :)

Dave (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Dave. Yes he is active and normal, just the curling. I just want to make sure there isn't anything I should do :) thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Not a problem remember however that gill casings are there to protect their gills against preditors and because the gill is a very delicate organ that your fish needs to survive , personally I would recomend you take this shubunkin back to petsmart and ask them why this is happening qusestioning where they get there stock from

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
In the 120 gallon fishtank that we had problems with recently, we have some featherfin catfish. One of them has had both gills curled at the trailing edge since we got him. It never seemed to affect him, but it has also never healed in the past 2 years. My wife said this was damage from poor water conditions. Earlier this week I noticed one of the other featherfins has a gill curled on one side now (he did not have this before). I would guess the damage occurred when the ammonia spiked *really* high in the tank for a few days (there was also no kH, and the pH was swinging between <6.0 and 8.4 when we did a water change).

The best thing you can do is check your water conditions and see if there's any issues in the pond. If everything is fine, there's really nothing else you can do about the gill curl. It may have been something as simple as stress from being moved to a new environment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks. I checked water and all are good. It's not curing very much, just the soft part looks like it flipped over the harder part, pretty minor gap, this just happened.

It could be that he got big real fast in the past month that does this to him? He was half the size of my fish when I put him in the pond but 3 months later he is about the same size.

Dave, I would like to keep him. I think he's having a good life and I dont want to subject him to petsmart. But if you meant to just ask them (and not give the fish back) then I doubt the people who works there will know lol.

Ask a Question