Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The bog is 75% complete the stream has been excavated. The attached photo is light blue the stream that's excavated leading to the pond where it will branch off to two falls, the green is the bog and the dark blue will be the final phase a zero gravity edge that will go to the rain collection tank that will be a minimum of 1500 gallons to 3, 000. I hope to have the system up and running in 2 weeks View attachment 111396 gallon max.

I know I say it every time, but your pond is looking awesome! How does a rain collection tank actually work? Does it collect excess water and then pump it out as needed?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Set a point a height in the pond where water will over flow and it runs down a stream to a point like a pointless waterfall where it drains underground to a storage vat. In my case it will be probably a 1700gallon sewer tank that I will use to store rain water that will drain in by the down spouts . There must be an overflow. And then a pipe from the main pump or maybe a second pump. But as the water level rises or drains in the underground vat the pond will always be a constant unless the tank dries out.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Looking good, still like the curved rock at the pond edge.

Also, Like the rainwater basin incorporated into your pond. Basically a sump on a fish tank, so all the evaporation in the pond, lowers the water level only in the collection basin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One skimmer can do a lot of work it can handle a large ornamental pond. My pond is 26 feet long and probably pretty close to that in width I lost count as I kept pushing it back using up extra rubber, but anyways the water fall is very close to the skimmer about 10 feet away. Its the area in the video off to the right of the falls that's the darkest at the weater line. There's a boulder that directs the water across the pond to where there are two jets just like in a swimming pool that both push the water toward the skimmer. This creates a swirling motion across the entire pond. Well there's no doubt it's big enough to do the job as the maple helicopter seeds have tested the pond followed by a second flying seed kinda like milk weed seeds but much worse there's millions of them. The Helix skimmer would have the surface clear within an hour. I have little doubt that a survio or other top brand would have also done the job. But I love how the helix only takes from the surface. Some questioned the skimmer on the same side of the pond as the waterfall but as you can see it works well. Sorry the clarity is poor I have been installing plants and a bog and the upper pond that did a number ôn clarity . I've been up and running I believe 6weeks now with no filter its high on the list to get running . I have water in the bog circulating and hopefully flushing out some of the dirt.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish the pond was clear but had to post it any ways. the lightning falls is pretty wild some say it looks like sparklers others say lightning . I say arch flashes of electricity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish the pond was clear but had to post it any ways. the lightning falls is pretty wild some say it looks like sparklers others say lightning . I say arch flashes of electricity.
That is absolutely gorgeous and just the motivation I need. Excellent work on the waterfall too is it dialed back or pushing 12k gph?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is absolutely gorgeous and just the motivation I need. Excellent work on the waterfall too is it dialed back or pushing 12k gph?
no it's not 12. the return jets are pushing at least 4,000 i'd say and I have some water getting under the falls instead of over but not a whole lot i'd guestimate the fall at about 7,000gph

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Green water uggg. That's what I get for starting up the pond before the bog and stream were ready. The bog, I had issues with an order of aqua blox that delayed construction over 5 weeks not thrilled! issue is finally resolved but you can see in the pics and videos above the water turning greener and greener. Good news is the bog is close to getting fired up, the stream has been connected to the bog and to the upper pond. learning as we go here there have been some mistakes made that cost me some time and effort. This is my first pond and my first build. I never was good at keeping things simple. I have a vivid imagination, and I have always enjoyed a good challenge. I am pleased with the circulation and the vortex that has been created. The pond is free of debris between the skimmer and the two suction drains.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Green water is minor compared to what you have already achieved! It's beautiful! You have exceeded a first pond build and gone straight to level three!
Thanks Lisa, the praise is encouragement that and sitting out back both night and day watching islands of hyacin float by. The falls are spellbinding night or day. I can see now why Aquascapes calls it a life style. But I have to thank the good folks here on this site the past forums and the input to questions were a big help in building the ever ending beast. Labor of love. I did remove all the peat moss I installed that gave the green water the explosion. And with 4 more tons of 3/4 upper Delaware river rounds I can complete the bog after moving another 8,000 pounds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
upper pond and stream are running seaming the bog is just about complete and the side extensions are ready to be built. I am raising the mafia block walls up a foot for extra height for falls final height will be at the bottom of the golden's chin or there about.
Scott Pond 6.10 (1 of 1).JPG

Ask a Question