Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Love it! Very nice job. Now the fun part - fiddling with it!! 14 years and I am still fiddling with my pond. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
more dramatic and less like it's being pushed out of a pipe
It is simply being pumped to the top of the falls and dumped onto a flat piece of slate with ledges. The bog and stream are next so phase 2 and 3 are up. when I get these running I will spend some time finalizing the falls there will be more then one. I'll work on some videos soon.

What tweaks do you have in mind for the waterfall?
Off to the right of the falls and the boulder of the falls there's going to be more of a channel with the water falling/ a fast stream coming into the pond which will push the water across the pond faster and i'm thinking having it fall flat toward the main view but then turn to the side/ left and into the pond. and that will come from a pooling area above the pond/ behind the falls.

Now the fun part - fiddling with it!!
Oh I'm afraid I still have a lot to do before I start tweaking I may throw a couple plants in so they can grow and help remove some nutrients that fall into the pond. I still have to build the heart and the main artery before I can start working on visual tweaks. don't forget I still have the 24 inch drain tile and centipede all the rock and liner and underlayment in the bog and dig out the stream and deside just how tall i'm going to build an upper falls if at all for now.

Thank you all for the praise and compliments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can't praise your effort or work enough and I love the idea of a stream running down the side. I second the idea of planting as you go this is what I have been doing and it is an awesome idea if you find clearance plants.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
And it comes alive, now mind you I will probably fiddle with the water fall at least a dozen times before I call it done but I do love the look of the boulders in the water.

Your build is going along nicely. No doubt it will be beautiful when complete. Love the placement of big boulders.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got my first two tenants today I believe one is a toad as I can't see it but we can hear it singing and a water bug/ water walker. We are on our way. and even though there is no filter as yet the water has cleared over the last 48 hours. I did plumb in the return jets but thts just two ports at this point with 2" pipe wide open.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry I've been to busy for photos and I have a lot planned for the memorial day weekend stay tuned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This was last Thursday pond was clearing nicely but got a lot to do
Scott Pond (1 of 1).JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes exactly, the more I see ponds with large feature rocks under water the more I want them. Exquisite look well done.
Thanks Telion it came out pretty good for my first go at it . and the lights really make the large boulders pop. AS I WAS building IT " INSTALLING UP TO 5,000 POUND boulders I was saying the reverse I should just use up my river rocks I like that look too. but it was the boulders that won out as in particular I built the footings for the retaining wall so they would be lower then the boulders which allowed for the boulders to create a space off the retaining wall, which allowed me to tuck in the next boulder. All the boulders on the 6 foot tall wall are all locking each other in with no mortar it took some extra work measure 4 times install once! but it was worth it not having a wall of mortar. I made a dry run with the DYI snorkel and centipede. The rubber arrives tomorrow for the bog it's going to be a busy weekend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Super excited for you this will be one beautiful build to enjoy for years to come (even for us as we watch it mature)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Spent the day collecting the last of my supplies. My rubber for the bog came in. The aqua blocks are now complete, I did have some issues with the aqua blox but Aquascape and Webs garden both stood by there product an resolved the situation. Underwater Warehouse shipped out the rubber a 25 x 30 piece for the bog it made it from Michigan to me in 3 days two thumbs up. Picked up anther 4 ton of 3/4 upper Delaware rock and another 50 cinder blocks to build up the mafia blocks just a little more To gain a little height for the bog and some falls as the stream makes it's way back to the pond.
The mafia blocks are about the roughest concrete pours you could ever find they are left over or rejected concrete from the plants. The drivers usually make the blocks them selves and lets just say they are drivers not concrete workers. You can see the large spaces between a couple of the blocks it's not that the wall is out of square or out of level but it is the blocks them selves that are a tad bit out of whack. And I found just the animal to solve the problem. I filled in the voids with some concrete and mortar, then installed an 1/8" fiberglass and asphalt based sheet that is used in roofing it is specifically made to place against rough surfaces before the epdm is applied to the area. I used it in the bog I covered the mafia blocks and the floor. Then covered that with fabric installed the rubber then installed a second layer of fabric. the floor of the bog is pitched toward one end that has the snorkel and the sides are pitched toward the centipede with the snorkel recessed a good foot below the bottom of the bog . The snorkel it's self has some large cuts into the sides so sludge can make it's way into chamber especially when back flushing.Almost forgot also picked up a dinosaur an original Bobcat skid stear
20180523_180506[19721].jpg
20180524_162448.jpg
20180525_134842[19726].jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's gonna be some bog @GBBUDD !

When we built our pond, one of my jobs was assembling the Aquablox - we use about 40 total. Took me a bit to figure them out, but once I got rolling I was an Aquablox assembly line!

I love the look of big boulders in a pond build. We use mostly two and three man (and sometimes woman!) boulders in our pond. I think smaller boulders are fine for smaller ponds, but if you're building a big pond the scale is better when they are bigger.

Love love love your dog! Is he a swimmer? We had a Lab who would have been in our pond in a heartbeat if we had had it when he was still alive!

Ask a Question