Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Picked up double walled storm drain tile to make as close as possible to a maintenance free area for a bog. I have seen many be successful with 2" pipe and 3/8" pea stone and have no issues for a few years. I do plan on using this in the pond to feed one area or aquatic plants.But the main bog will have larger stone 6"- around a centipede for about 8" above the centipede. with 1 and 2" river rock on top of that with 3/4 stone and finally some 3/8 stone to finish. included in the picture is one of the three pieces to make the home made centipede. What I like about this area is the sediment will have a good deal of time to be able to have a chance to settle and not be forced directly up in to the bog and the roots. No to mention I need fill to build up the falls and bog area and this will fit both bills.
20180314_180005[17489].jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Quality work going into this build. I love how detailed your updates are. Your plumbing was very easy to follow and understand. Keep the pics and details coming and hopefully the snow will break for the rest ofnthe year soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Quality work going into this build. I love how detailed your updates are. Your plumbing was very easy to follow and understand.

Thanks Telion!

I was starting to wonder if I was rambling on too much but I was thinking what I would have liked to have found in all the research I had done. So this is for others as much as it is for myself. This is my first build and I have already made some mistakes i'd make sure not to replicate on the next. First and foremost don't start digging the weekend of x mass in New England and not cover up the excavation for the winter.Even though I had stable soil mother nature and the freeze thaw freeze thaw did weaken the sides of the excavation

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Type away, your thread will help a new pond builder. I read tons of threads about bogs before I built my pond here.
Good info, bad info, so finally just built it. I spent around 2 months doing research. I had small bogs before, never this size of one.
Still very pleased on how the pond is doing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Still very pleased on how the pond ix doing.[/QUOTE]

You should be addy I saw the video of all the shubunkins you have" sorry for the miss spell" but you should be proud that many fish and a very healthy pond and water clarity! I only hope my project succeeds as well as your has. I to am a first time pond builder. Like your self I have spent the last two months on the internet reading and watching videos almost every night and weekend . I guess I am relying onmy construction back ground and aquarium years to fill in the blanks and see how it turns out. ok so maybe the size of the pond I'm doing is a bit large for a first go at it, but I hate doing things twice. What's the saying go large or go home!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oops amazing how different a sentence is when you miss a period oops. I to am a first time pond builder . Like your self I SPENT MONTHS RESEARCHING SO SORRY

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oops amazing how different a sentence is when you miss a period oops. I to am a first time pond builder . Like your self I SPENT MONTHS RESEARCHING SO SORRY
Lol no problem. This was my 5th pond.....well if count all the ones I have it would be 5th-10th pond from big to tiny.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Apparently there is new code in place that requires two Main drains, if you plan on installing a main drain. And main drains are being renamed like everything else these days to a suction outlet and each one is to be capable of the systems full demand. This is just a heads up only! you will need to look into your areas rules and regulations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Apparently there is new code in place that requires two Main drains, if you plan on installing a main drain. And main drains are being renamed like everything else these days to a suction outlet and each one is to be capable of the systems full demand. This is just a heads up only! you will need to look into your areas rules and regulations.
Oh my there is a regulation on the amount of drains you have?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh my there is a regulation on the amount of drains you have?

Building codes for pools include any body of water really, including wading pools, spas, therapeutic and decorative ponds and water features, of a depth greater than 18 inches.

Dual Main Drains
With the signing into law of the Virginia Graeme Baker Act (VGB), all pools and spas that are constructed must have dual main drains, 36” apart, and a cover that confirms with the reference standard. This law is specifically designed to prevent future entrapment injuries. The pool water is drawn through both main drains simultaneously, which removes the possibility of being held down by strong suction or stuck on the drain cover.

Commercial pools, or public pools around the country were required to retrofit older pools with dual main drains. This has not been the case for residential pools, only in new construction. For vinyl inground pools, however, the process of converting from single to dual main drains is sometimes a simpler job than for concrete pools, and you may want to consider this safety upgrade the next time you change your inground pool liner.

dual-main-drain-2.jpg

Main Drain Safety. If you have a single drain pool, at the least, make sure that drain covers are always in place, secured with screws. If your pool plumbing has a separate main drain line with a separate valve, a set-up that allows you to isolate the suction to the main drain only - think of ways to prevent someone accidentally shutting off the skimmers, giving full suction to the main drain only. Ways such as; instruct family members of the danger, remove or tape valve handles, or rotate 3-way valve lids to reposition the handle stops.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This came about because people (mainly kids) were sitting on the drains and the suction was so strong that they couldn't get off the drain and were drowned. This shouldn't apply to a pond but laws generally are written to be cover more rather than less. Another reason to avoid a bottom drain! (I'M KIDDING! I JEST! HAHA! NOT REALLY!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This shouldn't apply to a pond
According to this if anything is over 18" deep then the codes could apply decorative ponds and water features, of a depth greater than 18 inches. If you don't have bottom drains then no issue but if you do they may enforce it. Better to ask the question now then have a issue at the time of inspection.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
According to this if anything is over 18" deep then the codes could apply decorative ponds and water features, of a depth greater than 18 inches

Correct! I didn't say that well - I meant the REASON for the code shouldn't apply to ponds, but it definitely does.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to speak out here. As per usual Law makers have stepped in due to peer pressure. Having two "Main drains" suction outlets connected to the same pipe doubles the surface area for the drains to try and do there job. Or cutting in half there effectiveness. The drain I had chosen is a Rhino is has a 15 diameter face plate where the water comes in from the side under the diffuser. I am no small guy and even with my fat __ __ __ I couldn't block the suction intakes to where I could ever get stuck the Drain pipe being 4" this two even someone with Long hair could not get stuck. Do I agree that in a shallow area such as a Jacuzzi where I am as guilty as the next guy goofing around when I was a kid holding my breath and wedging myself at the bottom. do hand stands etc. These areas should have the double as its shallow and any age can get to it. But we have gone too far in may areas especially today. One of my favorite skits from David Letterman was he showed some crazy warning labels and this was at least ten years ago. My favorite was a warning label for a tooth brush that said do not use to clean your toilet and then use orally.

Ask a Question