Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Help !!!!!! another snow storm already, I want to get to building my pond and it's still full of snow. so what do I do I came home with another 8,000 pounds in 5 boulders.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Patience makes the pond builders heart grow fonder. Those boulders aren't going anywhere :D

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I didn't want to post this in another thread on someones showcase so posting it here @GBBUDD . You were talking about throwing dirt up from the bottom of your 8ft pond.
My friend up the road has an 8ft deep pond and boy is that sucker deep and huge. They had to do some drain repairs and empty the pond and that was a heck of a job for them.
IMG_0887.JPG

Slippery for her also,lol!
IMG_0894.JPG

Nice tho when all done.
IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't want to post this in another thread on someones showcase so posting it here @GBBUDD . You were talking about throwing dirt up from the bottom of your 8ft pond.
My friend up the road has an 8ft deep pond and boy is that sucker deep and huge. They had to do some drain repairs and empty the pond and that was a heck of a job for them.
View attachment 108971
Slippery for her also,lol![QUOTE

Size is comparable by the looks of it but I plan on rocking the bottom of the pond. And I have terrace's. As people like to have a smooth bottom for koi the koi never have to walk on it add a little moisture and a little algae on rubber while it's on an angle and you have one hell of a sleigh ride. And if I am not mistaken your friend appears to have found that out. I do love the pond right up to the house. They did a hell of a job installing the liner hardly a wrinkle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
More big boulders for the project! I can see the pond coming together then I open my eyes and look out at the pond SIGH....
20180321_150408_resized[17713].jpg
20180321_150419_resized[17712].jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD you must be spending a small fortune on all the rocks and boulders!? They look really nice though and I'm sure your pond is going to be amazing when it's done.
If you look around at other than your landscape companies and specialized quarry store you can find some deals on local rock. I have stopped at some places and had the salesman tell me there boulders were $400 a ton. I'll immediately turn around and start walking out. Most of the rock these guys have come from a local heavy equipment operators. Often they will have a job that they have to level an area for development and they don't have time to look for the little guy in sales. Places like a stump dump recycler or a smaller out of the way stone yard you can get deals if you know how to bargain. I will not spend more than $50 for a boulder about 6'x 3' x3' foot. and for those that don't know how much a boulder can weigh the above will weigh around 3 to 4,000 pounds or as the landscaper would have liked about $600 at 400 a ton I paid $50. Again it's local granite not weathered limestone. Like I said earlier I can see the pond coming together then I open my eyes and I see a tarp covered in snow. in total thus far for ALL the rock I have spent $320.00 dollars on big boulders. And when I am done, I will be having a rock sale I know I will have ALOT left over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wow, that's a lot less money than I thought. You've been finding some really good deals! Hopefully the weather starts to clear up since spring is officially here and you'll be able to commence work on the pond.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That is a good price on granite, if you are spending $50 for a 3-4000lb. boulder. Contractors aren’t even buying it for that where I live in Maryland. Of course, if they sold a bunch of those rocks for $400 / ton, then they don’t mind selling the occasional boulder for $50.

I’ve seen customers spend $1,000 dollars per boulder to have a them stuck in their yard. I am not a landscaper, but that is a lot of money to charge for a rock that costs the contractor under $100, when they are landscaping an entire yard.

It costs roughly $39-40/ton my cost to get R8 (2-3000lb) granite delivered by the dump truck load (20-21 tons).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You keep coming across awesome huge rocks I am really looking forward to seeing this come together.

Got to remember I am talking cash and carry. And the other thing to keep in mind is this time of the year there's not a lot of demand for anything landscaping Cash goes a long way at the end of the month. The very first item I bought for this project was a 6 ton dump trailer. I had an opportunity to get between base ball sized river rock to fractured granite in just about every size and shape up about 300 to 400 pounds. But I had to hand load most of it . One slab that has got to be 2500 pounds is going to have a very special spot in the build it's basically a 2 foot wide piece of granite with lots iron and mica that's 6-6" long that's like a naturally shaped rounded one piece of copping. It is a large piece I decided to place on a bond beam. Don't want it sliding into the pond because the soils gave way and pin someone. I also decided to build a cinder block wall in front and under the length of the patio. This is being done to insure there is no runoff/washout from rains from the patio as it meets the pond. It will sit on the bond beam that was poured about 4 feet down in the pond along the patio. I believe I will also make a couple openings/ shelves in the wall toward the surface for planters.
20180322_204548[17739].jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
}
It costs roughly $39-40/ton my cost to get R8 (2-3000lb) granite delivered by the dump truck load (20-21 tons).

JHN can you elaborate on the class/ grading of rock R8? and or others . I may have got a few deals but I know little on sale of rock and classifications.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
An other place to get rock is a processing plant. There you can get what ever local stone that has come in to there yard. They may not be willing to spend too much time selecting stones spending a lot of time pulling out rock. but at 18- 20 dollars a yard it could be a reasonable expense to complete a liner cover up. After all an erratic design looking natural with some soft plants and a hardscape like logs or even limbs can out shine someone who spends a ton of money but has no taste or imagination.

Ask a Question