Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Now above the floating tree log the water is 24 feet deep down to a foot at the falls.

That is some deep water by that floating log. (Not sure if that is why jw gave you the slack jaw emoji), going to need some floaties on your arms next time you take a dip next to the log.

It is crazy how fast the bogs clear the water up, mine are like that too. I found out (or at least confirmed what I thought)Nice thing about adding on to existing ponds with bogs, is you don’t get the new pond syndrome or NPS for @brokensword cause we know you love your abbreviations.

Plants are overrunning my bog at the back of the pond, pulling out loads of forgetmenots, water celery, creeping Jenny, and the winter hardy elephant ear, all are growing over everything else back there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Jhn opps thank god i was able to edit that my bad.

Wish i had had time to come by before i had to head back. Would have loved to have had a little more time to check your pond out. My money is on it won't be long before there's a sitting area down there

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jhn opps thank god i was able to edit that my bad.

Wish i had had time to come by before i had to head back. Would have loved to have had a little more time to check your pond out. My money is on it won't be long before there's a sitting area down there
Yeah, the wife is already thinking it over as in what type of slate or paver, I should put down there.
Like I said you are welcome to come by anytime you are in the area or whenever. It stunk when you came by and we had people over during the week (we practically never have people over during the weekdays. I would have liked to hang out more and shoot the breeze about ponds or whatever.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A night video of one section of the pond 6 feet deep and the boulders are 14 feet across the pond, with only 3 watt lights and you can see the fish. i'll take a bog over any other mechanical filter hands down

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol you can appreciate the size of the rocks a bit more now that your trying to set your own rocks by hand are you? Even with an excavator you need a lot bigger then a mini for those rocks. I used both a excavator a 312 cat an all terrain fork truck or as some call them a lull. up to a 40 foot reach but like a crane it can only pick up the heavies loads close to the machine.

As we keep telling people koi and many other species can grow very fast and grow large the white cat fish for instance is a good 18 long and when i got him 3 years ago i believe it's been maybe 4 he was maybe 3" long

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Still photography has always been a passion of mine but at the prodding or @brokensword on my video quality i tried to step it up a little. The pond has been left to tend to it's self the last couple weeks as both the MRS. and I were away. No one to watch the pond it took care of it's self.

If anyone knows how to change the picture that you tube sets for the video please let me know . that's hardly the spot i would have chose for a cover. I do need to get a quality camera for these underwater videos.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Love all the plant life around the pond. Probably my favorite part. And the big boulders, of course. Yes, I can appreciate the difficulty of setting those now that I'm trying to do so myself. Had I known better in the beginning, I'd have built this pond very differently and maintained access to all sides or built portions to completion and dug my way out of the yard. As it is now, I would like to place some big rocks where it will be very difficult to do so. Either need to give up that idea or bite the bullet on a very big construction forklift for a day.

I'll have an 8,000 lb machine to work with soon, but I don't think an 8k machine can even lift that much safely at full extension. And I don't think full extension on a machine that size is even close to long enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Still photography has always been a passion of mine but at the prodding or @brokensword on my video quality i tried to step it up a little. The pond has been left to tend to it's self the last couple weeks as both the MRS. and I were away. No one to watch the pond it took care of it's self.

If anyone knows how to change the picture that you tube sets for the video please let me know . that's hardly the spot i would have chose for a cover. I do need to get a quality camera for these underwater videos.
Much, much nicer presentation, GB! And I think the thumb is very apt! That said, typically YT will offer 3 choices and there's a blank for you to upload a custom one of your own. I think this is the best I've seen your fish. Didn't know you had the black channel cat to go with the white one. Have you had them both since they were pups? The low angle is one of my favorites as opposed to the typical 'looking from the top/overhead' view.
Sure makes the boulders pop underwater!
Super vid, good Sir!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Your pond is gorgeous, really enjoyed the video. Your water is so clear and how nice you can both be out of town and not worry about the pond!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Much, much nicer presentation, GB! And I think the thumb is very apt! That said, typically YT will offer 3 choices and there's a blank for you to upload a custom one of your own. I think this is the best I've seen your fish. Didn't know you had the black channel cat to go with the white one. Have you had them both since they were pups? The low angle is one of my favorites as opposed to the typical 'looking from the top/overhead' view.
Sure makes the boulders pop underwater!
Super vid, good Sir!
yes they were both tiny 3 to 4" and very thin. i knew cats grew pretty quick but not like these two i swear they are growing expeditiously through fish doody. I don't feed often

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yes they were both tiny 3 to 4" and very thin. i knew cats grew pretty quick but not like these two i swear they are growing expeditiously through fish doody. I don't feed often
I imagine they're eating smaller koi as cats can get larger fish than you'd think, into their mouths. That's why I never kept fish smaller than my cats, when I had aquariums. I like them but didn't ever want to lose my other fish!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think theres only one fish bigger than the white cat now and it probably wont be long until he's the biggest

Ask a Question