Goldfish spawned

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
On Sunday morning I saw some eggs on the plants HOORAY!!

I expected that there would be more eggs but it looks to be in the hundreds instead of the thousands I heard, is this normal? I know that some (alot?) got sucked in the pump, which go to my bog filters.

My girl (the only girl I learn, 5 guys) got chased by 3 guys (the other two didnt join in) so I got the 3 guys and put them in a basket to give my girl a little time then I was afraid that she if she didnt release all her egg she might be sick (can she?) what happen to the egg that wasnt released?

Anyway later in the day I released the guys and they didnt chase her so much afterward. Monday morning they started doing it again though. Will I get more eggs? I mean is the female release eggs in batch or all at once?

I thought i'll let them be but it's pretty exciting so I put the eggs in a floating basket, giving them a little protection to be able to hatch (if it even get fertilized) then if they survive that'd be fun to watch.

water temp is 70 F, how long does it take the the egg to hatch?

Reaction score
I don't know the answers to any of your questions - BUT I'm so excited for you!!!!! Yah!!!! Can't wait for this to happen in my pond! Keep us updated!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very cool! Glad you're excited about finding eggs, whereas I'm worried that in a couple years I'll have too many fish. Luckily I'll have a ton of space in my new pond for more fish but if they keep popping out babies i wont know what to do :confused:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Priscilla, I will sure update :)

JB, I here you. I know I cant have too many fish in my pond since I have a small pond but the thought of seeing the baby growing and changing colors are very exciting :) I dont know if I'll get any. After this year I dont think i'll be helping them out. 1 or 2 a year should be fine :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
the thought of seeing the baby growing and changing colors are very exciting

It really is! I remember seeing this one as just a tiny colorless fry in August and now its 2" long and looks awesome! It actually got sucked through the pump somehow either as an egg or fry and I originally found it living in my stream.
DSCN3984.png

Reaction score
Speaking of too many fry in a pond, I counted 52 platy fry in my pond, that was just a quick count, I'm sure there is double or triple that in there and still few more pregnant.

And of those 52 in 3 months I'll probably have 100's of new fry from them.

I'm really not sure what to do here. I like them, but they are getting out of hand.

Imatation Crab

800 gallon pond
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Speaking of too many fry in a pond, I counted 52 platy fry in my pond, that was just a quick count, I'm sure there is double or triple that in there and still few more pregnant.

And of those 52 in 3 months I'll probably have 100's of new fry from them.

I'm really not sure what to do here. I like them, but they are getting out of hand.
You could introduce a predatory fish like a Cichlid or a Oscar.

Reaction score
You could introduce a predatory fish like a Cichlid or a Oscar.

Nooooooooo! Could I? But what about when I get baby goldfish and baby koi ....?
But what else do I do? I have to admit I've thought about it. BUT I do want baby koi and/or goldfish.

What to dooooooo ????? There's only one thing to do, get another pond for the goldfish and koi and let this pond be a natural pond, maybe even let a few birds come around ....

Would the Oscar be okay with the koi? he wouldn't attack them would he? My older son loves Oscars.

Imatation Crab

800 gallon pond
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
But what else do I do? I have to admit I've thought about it. BUT I do want baby koi and/or goldfish.

What to dooooooo ????? There's only one thing to do, get another pond for the goldfish and koi and let this pond be a natural pond, maybe even let a few birds come around ....

Would the Oscar be okay with the koi? he wouldn't attack them would he? My older son loves Oscars.[/QUOTE
The Oscar would definitely eat anything that fits in its mouth. You could use a smaller species of cihilid they would love the platy fry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

Would the Oscar be okay with the koi? he wouldn't attack them would he? My older son loves Oscars.
I had oscars for years in inside aquariums, they will basically eat anything that fits into there mouth, if your fish are bigger then you would be okay, if not then snack food.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Your goldfish didn't eat the babies? Last year when my mollies and guppies were in the pond there were only three Molly babies survived and that after I added floating plants to help.

I have like 50+ babies in the tank and it seems like most of them are female..... I gotta have to get them to the big pond and let them survive by themselves or give them away.

I got a bit more eggs last night. But I don't know if it fertilized or not.

Reaction score
Your goldfish didn't eat the babies? Last year when my mollies and guppies were in the pond there were only three Molly babies survived and that after I added floating plants to help.

I have like 50+ babies in the tank and it seems like most of them are female..... I gotta have to get them to the big pond and let them survive by themselves or give them away.

I got a bit more eggs last night. But I don't know if it fertilized or not.

Not so far. I know I must have anywhere from 100 to 200 fry in there now and still some pregnant platys. Maybe they are eating some, but I guess I have so many ..... ? I don't know. I haven't seen them eating any and they all come to me at feeding time. I guess everyone gets on in my pond. Lol!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Stop feeding your fish then they will eat the fry :) that's what I do in my guppies tank, I feed them less. May be you could cut back, it'll make them hungry and start eating anything that moves lol.

Reaction score
Stop feeding your fish then they will eat the fry :) that's what I do in my guppies tank, I feed them less. May be you could cut back, it'll make them hungry and start eating anything that moves lol.

Haha! I'm one of those chronic over feeders! I'll give it a try. I do have lots of floating plants, and I mean lots, plus I also lots of hiding places in plant pots with big rocks, so maybe that's why they are doing so well.

Ask a Question