gotta pay attention!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
will the obliviousness ever end? this afternoon ( i think it was about 4:00pm) as every day i scooped the pile of poop up off the floor of the basement pond. i then used the net to scoop up the prefilter. i figured i'd rinse it out, while i was in the mood. well i left the net inside the pond leaning against the wall of the pond. clean the prefilter and reattached the hose and let it sink. unbeknownced to me, while i was taking care of rinsing it out, one of my small koi found his way into the net. i pulled it out and hung it up. now at 7:30 i just gave them their last feeding of the day. and went to scoop up the new pile of waste. i scooped up the poo, and noticed a little fish in the net. i stopped moving the net and angled it so it was wide open and the fish could swim out. thought to myself..."hey..i didnt see you , sorry little guy!" well he didnt really swim out, he just kind of wafted out...anyways he was barely alive...it had to be 3 hours minimum of hanging in the net. ive got him segregated in the net near the water return. so he can sit in the net with out being bothered by the others. sw is swimming a little better now....will post tommorrow if not later on his progress. goes to show they are more resiliant than you might think.
LESSEN LEARNED: CHECK YOUR NET BEFORE PUTTING IT AWAY...PAY ATTENTION

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow koiguy good thing you came back when you did or the poor little fellow would not have had a chance. Hoping he makes it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hope your little koi makes it. Hard to believe a fish can last more than a few minutes out of water. That is amazing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Keep us updated, pulling for the little one.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hope he pulls out of it
The wet net must of kept him from drying out

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
still alive ...but still swimming/floating straight up and down at surface...gonna try segregating in tub with warm water and salting.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
still no noticable improvement, seems to be struggling , maybe even more...dont want him to suffer, so if theres no marked improvement by tommorrow morning..i think i will euthenize the poor thing. any thoughts? ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Poor thing. No thoughts here, I think it's up to the owner to do what they think is best for the fish. You'll make the right decision.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I read on this site below (WET WEB MEDIA) that cooler water has more oxygen and they said to put an oxygen stone in there and add some stesscoat and salt etc.

Carpet surfing Koi 11/28/2007 Hello guys, Last Saturday morning I found my Koi carpet surfing. I live in MN so he was inside in an aquarium with a full hood for the winter. He knocked the plastic lid off the hood. It was still dark so I found him by touching him with my foot.. Not a great feeling. Anyhow he was still alive so I drained some tank water into a bucket and placed a power head in the bucket and was able to revive him. He is back in the tank with the 2 other Koi and 2 goldfish. He is in very rough shape and lost a lot of scales and body slime. He is about 12" and was a beautiful bright white with orange saddle. He now looks orangey white especially on his head and the one side, I would assume that is the side he was laying on. Anyhow he is breathing the same as the others but not very active and has yet to eat since the incident. I have been adding stress coat to the tank in an effort to help. Also, the tank is not heated so the temp is around 66. Any suggestions to get him to eat? I am feeding them Koi food from Blackwater Koi Farm ( I am pretty sure that is the name). Should I heat the tank? Will that help him recover? Any other products to add? I added barley pellets in the pond would they help in an aquarium? I am running a filter with carbon right now. I also have saltwater tanks so would adding a little salt be beneficial to the Koi in the tank? Any suggestions to get him eat first and then all the way back to health would be appreciated. Thanks so much, Walt

ANSWER

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ive already done that... i thinki i may have rolled him under the net frame, on a close inspection it looks as tho his lower jaw make be out of line. it appears to be off to one side slightly. i released him back into the pond this afternoon he still floats head up and will do sudden darts across the surface with his mouth above water. and it appears he may have some paralisis in the back half. since he seems to have to wiggle his whole body to swim. front half doing most of the work. i do believe he may have incurred a spinal injury. i think hes going to be put down tommorrow. we will see...not to sound harsh but ...atleast hes one of the smaller ones,(runt?) mostly black with a two tone gold - orange belly. and not one of the more attractive ones.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the way i was told .. on fish put him in a tub with cool water, with a few drops of clove oil mixed in.slowly add a bunch of ice cubes. the clove oil is an anesthetic, basically knocks it ..out the cold water and ice will slow their systems down..the "mix" kills them humanely and painlessly. they basically go to sleep and never wake up. ive also heard of putting them in a bag with cold water ice cubes and put it in the freezer...of those, im thinking the second. for such a small fish. IDK this is the first fish i will have had to put down. it seems to me cutting or chopping the head off very fast and clean would be a painless way. severing the nervous system...wouldnt feel a thing.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Koiguy that last idea sound horrible to me..........................you are not Dexter ya know! Poor fishy..........hoping he makes a change for the better by some miracle!

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I vote for the freezer method for the little guy. :sad: I agree totally with JW the last just sounds awful.

Ask a Question