Gravity Feed

Reaction score
Ok im getting a 4inch bottom drain and i know it has to be gravity feed but i really dont understand what that means... Like do i have to get a vortex filter and does this have to be buried the same level as the bottom drain? if it does where does the piping go from the vortex filter? and is there another way of gravity feeding it without having to bury the filter? is there a out of ground gravity feed system?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just put black abs pipe in my pond ,with shower type covering on it and put a pump up in the filter box and turn it on when I see muck on the bottom building up went as simple as I could because I did not want to cut the liner .the shower drain can be turned up or turned down by just turning the pipe .I want to add an airline to it but trying to see how to add it

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be as deep as the drain just lower than water level. For true gravity feed it is either you need a lower settlement or you raise your pond up.

Reaction score
evesta said:
It doesn't have to be as deep as the drain just lower than water level. For true gravity feed it is either you need a lower settlement or you raise your pond up.

ok so like if i get a vortex filter it just needs to be lower then the water level in the pond? and the water will just go to it?

Reaction score
You want the top of vortex an inch or two higher but the water level will be the same. The water in the pond and filter will be at the same height because they are joined bodies of water and they naturally do that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
when doing the gravity fed system means if your filter are open tops the waterline in them are set about 1 to 2 inches below the top of the filters when the pond is full.
This way the pumps are after the filtration. Closed pressurized system filters need the pump before them.
On a closed pressurized system filter you would go from BD to mechcanicl filter to pump then to the pressurized filter.(bead filter)

Reaction score
Nilz said:
Ok im getting a 4inch bottom drain and i know it has to be gravity feed but i really dont understand what that means... Like do i have to get a vortex filter and does this have to be buried the same level as the bottom drain? if it does where does the piping go from the vortex filter? and is there another way of gravity feeding it without having to bury the filter? is there a out of ground gravity feed system?

This may help, look at figure 4a

http://www.absolute-koi.com/pdf/CetusManual.pdf

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The cetus has a max rate of 4755 gallons per hour. If you had one on each bottom drain your turnover rate would be 9520 per hour.

Ask a Question