Great to be here!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have been lurking for a while, trying to read and learn a bit before jumping in and figure it's about time to ask a few questions ( well actually it's quite a few ), I am in the process of constructing an approximately 7000 gallon pond with a waterfall and a bog filter. What makes this project interesting is the entire pond is being carved out of solid shale ( interesting being a euphemism for huge pain in the backside )
Although I know little about pond building I do have a bit of related knowledge as I am a landscape designer who has worked with water feature builders on a few pond projects in the past, in addition I have extensive tropical fish knowledge, specifically African Cichlids, in fact I am the owner and administrator of an on line Cichlid forum.
After reading quite a bit of on line information I am having concerns regarding the following items:
I would like a bottom drain but with the shale and the fact that I did not provide for one when I had the excavator with the rock hammer here it looks like it is not going to be feasible to have one.
I was planning on 2 submersible pumps in the skimmer, in fact I have already purchased them but I think it may be a mistake not to use an external pump, but doing so will introduce new problems that will need to be resolved.
Gravel bottom and rock sides or not? I want this pond to look VERY natural but I don't want a maintenance nightmare.
Well I have much more to discuss but I think this is enough for an introduction post, I will leave you with a few photos, and again it's great to be here.
Anthony

Attachments

• IMG_5185.jpg
    IMG_5185.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_5190.jpg
    IMG_5190.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_5197.jpg
    IMG_5197.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_5232.jpg
    IMG_5232.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_5235.jpg
    IMG_5235.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_5520.JPG
    IMG_5520.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 213

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum and that is some project you have going on.

You don't have to have a bottom drain, I don't have one in my pond but it is not as large as yours either. However you can build your own retro bottom drain that would not require you to dig deeper. If I can find the link I will post it.

I use an external pump, some of us externals and others submersible it is a matter of preference. I find them to be better for the volume of water I am moving and the distance I have to go, mine is very energy efficient also.

I would not use gravel or rocks on the bottom, it will look natural once the liner gets covered with algae, you won't even see it. Having rocks on the bottom creates cleaning challenges which are not worth it IMO.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
another-fish-welcome.gif

Welcome! nice pond you are building. Your dirt looks like mine, a little dirt and a lot of rock.

I use an external pump, prefer them over submersibles, to me easier to take care of, less electricity use for gph, imho.

skip the rocks, gravel on the bottom. I don't have a bottom drain, so far so good, just retro fit one.

Do have a bog filter, just love it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Howdy-frog--11-1.gif
Anthony
Glad to have you here and what a big pond you've got going there.
Will be fun watching you do all the hard work and seeing the finished product.
Post lots of pics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Anthony, Welcome and it looks like you have a nice pond started! You probably want to switch over you pond construction questions to the pond construction thread at some point. I'm sure people will be jumping in to give you their suggestions.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Welcome! I would get an external pump, like Addy mentioned there easier to maintain. Spend the extra on this, meaning more then you think you need, high volume low watts. They aren't cheap but how many times do you want to by a pump? I learned this the hard$$$ way. Your others can be used as back ups if needed. NO rock on the bottom. They make it harder to keep the bottom clean. Rock on the sides isn't necessary because as the pond establishes itself it will look natural. Rock bourders are ok but be carefull of flagstone rocks due to the sharp edges if they will be below the water line. Hope this helps some.

Reaction score
Welcome to the boards! That is a sweet looking pond your building please update with pics when you get it started. LOL I don't say finished because for me that never seems to happen..

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, I would go external as well, I use submersibles and you do have to replace more often, and they are harder to prefilter and maintain. No rocks on the bottom, Make a shelf along the side to have some for the first 8-12" deep but for the sides and bottom it's far eaier to keep clean if you don't have rocks for the gunk to get hung in, I like the idea of a bottom drain, It's a scary jump for first timers and there are still many that don't like the idea of cutting the liner, But a bottom drain of any kind in that large of a pond will benefit you in the long run.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums! :) I'm looking forward to seeing more pics!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome aboard, I would go external as well, I use submersibles and you do have to replace more often, and they are harder to prefilter and maintain. No rocks on the bottom, Make a shelf along the side to have some for the first 8-12" deep but for the sides and bottom it's far eaier to keep clean if you don't have rocks for the gunk to get hung in, I like the idea of a bottom drain, It's a scary jump for first timers and there are still many that don't like the idea of cutting the liner, But a bottom drain of any kind in that large of a pond will benefit you in the long run.
I use a submersibles and have had 2 that are 6 and 7 years old and cheapo's from harbor freight and 20 some dollars and I bought the 5 dollar warranty on all of mine .I had 1 go out and that was when the pond got destroyed by the dog ,took it back to harbor freight no questions asked and they gave me a new one and all I had to do was give them 5 dollars for a new warranty .I had one tetra one when I first started my pond and it was not cheap but did not hold up as well as the cheapo ones .

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am really happy with my cheapo pumps as well. I must have a dozen altogether and never had one fail yet. My Beckett has been replaced 3 times.

Ask a Question