Green Pond

Reaction score
I have a 125 gallon fish pond that turns very green in the hot summer months. Spring and fall it is crystal clear. I have a uv pump that's more than enough for my pond. I also have about 10 goldfish that I put in it this year. Also contains a plant that has been in it for couple years. I have tried the algae away many times it either clears it up for a few days or kills my fish. It's in full sun most of day. What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
try covering half the pond with some water hyacinths or lettuce or maybe even get the blue dye you put in the water to shade out the sun which is prolly promoting the algae growth

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Do you have any filtration for your pond? How big are your fish and how much are you feeding them?

Reaction score
The UV is 100% effective. Green water means there is a problem with the UV. Couldn't be undersized obviously. Has the bulb been replaced within the last 6 months of use? If no then I'd do that first. If yes I would check the flow thru the unit to make sure that was in spec. If flow is toward the high end I would reduce the flow and wait 5-7 days to see if the water cleared.

Reaction score
Someone correct me if I am wrong but the fish die because the algaecide kills the algae which ends up removing oxygen from the water?
10 fish in a 125 gallon pond is way too many. That is making your problem worse. I would cut that back to 4 fish maximum.

Reaction score
Im pretty sure algaecide is like over 90 percent copper ive used it for my pool it does kill algae but i dont think it removes oxygen Also on another note i have like 50 fish in a 125 gallon fish tank n they are all fine but i have some mad filtration goin on in it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I too have a smallish pond and 4 goldfish. Common goldfish and comets need 50 gallons per fish and a filtration equal to 10X/hour. If there's too many fish or too little filtration, algae will love it I concur with Waterbug that the UV bulb may need replacing and/or the flow may be too great if all filtration is running through the UV. That happen to me when I first set up my UV. After I rerouted the majority of the filter water, the green became clear. Water lettuce and water hyaciths--up to 50% coverage will also help shade the pond. Good luck!
Chris

Reaction score
davepratt said:
Im pretty sure algaecide is like over 90 percent copper ive used it for my pool it does kill algae but i dont think it removes oxygen Also on another note i have like 50 fish in a 125 gallon fish tank n they are all fine but i have some mad filtration goin on in it
Wow that's darn near fish abuse. I hope they are very small.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I have only had the fish in my pond for a couple of weeks and I don't over feed. My pond was green when I put the uv filtration pump in and nothing happened with the algae. I was told once I put in the uv system it would kill the algae.

Reaction score
dburden_02 said:
I have only had the fish in my pond for a couple of weeks and I don't over feed. My pond was green when I put the uv filtration pump in and nothing happened with the algae. I was told once I put in the uv system it would kill the algae.
Your two posts confuse me. The first sounded like you've had the pond for several years and the second sounds like a couple of weeks. If you post more than a few words and describe with some detail your pond and experience you might get better help. With almost no info there's very little chance you could get reasonable answers.

Reaction score
Waterbug I am pretty sure the pond has been going for years but the fish are a new addition.

I imagine, as I noted before, that the pond is overloaded with fish, which is compounding your other issues.
What kind of pump and filter are you using?
How long has the UV been running?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
For a pond that size the UV should clear the whole pond in 2 days tops. My 400 gallon pond was green and I put the 9w UV clarifier in and after about 3 days, it was crystal clear! Can you make sure the bulb is on, like a window or something?

Reaction score
My pump is the floating fountain with uv and led lights. Good for ponds up to 750 gallons. This is the third year of having the pond. The fish are a new addition.

Ask a Question