Green Pond

Reaction score
Come on Waterbug... We both know that with that high of a stocking level and no mechanical filtration, the pond is filling up with terds and the dead algae that is being killed by the uv. These terds and dead alga are feeding the new algae. What do you mean "should be ok"? Ok how?

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
Come on Waterbug... We both know that with that high of a stocking level and no mechanical filtration, the pond is filling up with terds and the dead algae that is being killed by the uv. These terds and dead alga are feeding the new algae. What do you mean "should be ok"? Ok how?
Yesterday I spent 3 full hours talking with a local pond owner on site where I could ask questions, see the pond, measure stuff, understand what goals the owner was after. 3 hours, plus about 5 hours afterward designing a solution, and many email exchanges. Not everyone wants to spend that amount of time. Lot's of people posting in forums want to give very little info and get short answers. Obviously a short answer isn't really going to change anything but you can't force people to give lots of details if they don't want to.

It didn't sound to me like the poster was asking about how to keep fish alive. I thought, but could be wrong, they didn't like the green water. I answered that already. If they do that the green will be gone as desired and the pond will be fine.

If you're concerned about the fish then that's between you and the poster. I don't have a horse in that race.

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
Wow that's darn near fish abuse. I hope they are very small.
they r mostly under 4 inches all cichlids in that tank i have both a lrg canister filter and an overflow filter on it lots of them are fry that have started to grow up and i dont know what to do with them but i know the waters good or they wouldnt be having babies

Reaction score
Reaction score
davepratt said:
well im pretty sure the dying algae is causing the oxygen dep. not the algaecide
Holy heavens, give me a break... The algaecide kills the algae, which in turn depletes the oxygen. Do we really have to split hairs over it? I was just trying to explain to the guy why his fish would die.

Reaction score
Waterbug said:
Yesterday I spent 3 full hours talking with a local pond owner on site where I could ask questions, see the pond, measure stuff, understand what goals the owner was after. 3 hours, plus about 5 hours afterward designing a solution, and many email exchanges. Not everyone wants to spend that amount of time. Lot's of people posting in forums want to give very little info and get short answers. Obviously a short answer isn't really going to change anything but you can't force people to give lots of details if they don't want to.

It didn't sound to me like the poster was asking about how to keep fish alive. I thought, but could be wrong, they didn't like the green water. I answered that already. If they do that the green will be gone as desired and the pond will be fine.

If you're concerned about the fish then that's between you and the poster. I don't have a horse in that race.
He stated that he has been using a UV but it isn't working. You come in and say a UV should be 100% effective. Obviously, it is not. So now what? I'm saying that I believe there is so much "food" in the water for the algae that even if the sterilizer is doing its job, the algae is outpacing it. That floating fountain doesn't have a real filter, as far as I know. 10 fish worth of poop and all the dead algae remaining in the pond is plenty of food to keel the algae going strong. That is why I believe the water stays green.

You will notice my answer did not involve saving the fish, but rather, why the water is green.

Should be fine is a garbage answer.

Reaction score
Maybe the OP should seek government assistance with their green water.....
Oh Wait! your government is shut down..... never mind :dunno:

Reaction score
davepratt said:
they r mostly under 4 inches all cichlids in that tank i have both a lrg canister filter and an overflow filter on it lots of them are fry that have started to grow up and i dont know what to do with them but i know the waters good or they wouldnt be having babies
While it is very possible that the water was "good" when the fish had babies, I am hoping that you realize that the quality of water is likely to have changed since adding such a load to the tank. I'm not saying it is sure to be bad, but it is much more likely now. Do you have a test kit? It is important to keep ammonia, nurtures, and nitrates low if you want these young fish to thrive. Or be good food :)

Reaction score
I have had fishtanks for iver 30 yrs n now have had a pond going on third winter i have never done a water test in any of them ever im a firm believer in good filtration and weekly water changes ive had many a fish grow old this way some 15 yrs or more

Ask a Question