Green Pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I use the 2nd or half speed which is at half that at 2400 gallons per hour.

Is the pond currently set up as the photo shows? Because you don't really have a waterfall in this photo - just a spillway pouring into the pond. But at 2400 GPH (and that's if you're getting full speed from the pump) you're below minimum recommended water circulation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is the pond currently set up as the photo shows? Because you don't really have a waterfall in this photo - just a spillway pouring into the pond. But at 2400 GPH (and that's if you're getting full speed from the pump) you're below minimum recommended water circulation.
The 2nd or full speed would be 4800. Is that too fast?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Zapp pure zp10 is for 12000 gallon pond at 4000 gallon flow rate. Full speed would be to fast right?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No it’s not too much, 2400gph is nowhere near enough. Turn the pump up, so it is pumping full blast.
The flow rate of 4000gph is just what is recommended for the uv sterilizer. You need more than that for your size pond, you can create a bypass so that the uv is getting the recommended flow, and your pond is getting 1.5-2x times turnover per hour.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The 2nd or full speed would be 4800. Is that too fast?

Nope. Crank it up! Getting that water through the filter is more important than the UV right now.

And also - you mentioned the "expensive system". It's a good reminder that no matter how much you spend for equipment (or additives, chemicals, etc), if the other elements aren't in place the pond won't work right.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Plants make that much of a difference? In keeping with my habit..can I overdose with plants?
No, but since you have koi you might have to get creative with how you have them in your pond. Koi are notorious as plant-destroyers. Not always, but it happens. They like to root around (sorry about the pun). That’s why a lot of people with koi who want plant filtration will incorporate a bog (veggie filter) into the pond. Go back and read some of the threads by @addy1. She is our resident bog-person. The purpose is to create a pond that is in synch with nature, without using chemicals (except as dechlorinators).

This way you’re not always having to FIGHT to keep things in balance. Sometimes Mother Nature is a little slower than what we humans have the patience for, but in the end, the Mother always delivers!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
thing is plants give off oxygen during the day but use it up at night .

That matters some when you’re talking about underwater plants, but it has no bearing on marginals. The gas exchange happens through the leaves, not the roots. And I’ve read that even underwater plants produce far more oxygen than they consume.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But that can depend on fish load and water temperature and plant growth .Even roots of plants need oxygen to survive .

Reaction score
One trick I've learned to clear up the water is Montmorillonite Clay. This stuff can work miracles. It's all natural and the fish love it. I apply a double dose to the pond water every week until the water clears. You can't overdose on clay. The water will turn a milky color for a short time but clears up soon, taking the green water with it. You can read up on all the great benefits in your own. I'm just offering you another option that works for me. My water was green a few weeks ago, I had run out clay. I ordered more clay, doubled dosed my pond twice, and the water is crystal clear as of three days ago.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good suggestion @LarryM ! I've never used it for green water, but it does act as a flocculant and it's supposed to add healthy minerals to the water for your fish. Plus it's cheap and easy to use and, as you said, you can't over do it!

Ask a Question